• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug: White area confuses straighten tool 'Grow or Shrink' option on PSE 2021 Mac

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a bug. I was happily using PSE 2021 Mac's Straighten tool with the 'Grow or Shrink' option selected and PSE auto-filling the edges, when all of a sudden it cut off the top of my image. I've attached before and after captures that show this. After some playing around, it looks like the problem was PSE got confused by the white (overexposed) sky, because when I filled the sky in with a color the Straighten tool behaved normally, and then got confused again when I reset the sky to white. Has anyone else seen this? I'm using the latest update (20210126.m.155261 x64) on a 2019 iMac (MacOS 11.2.1).

TOPICS
Bug , Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could Please provide more information how you are trying to straighten the image. Did you used the Straighten and crop option?

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop-elements/using/cropping.html#straighten_an_image

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-- I'm not sure what additional information I can give. I was trying to straighten the image using the Straighten Tool. That's what it's called. There's no 'Straighten and Crop' option. Look at the link you provided -- the first available option for the tool is 'Grow Or Shrink Canvas To Fit' (which appears in PSE as just 'Grow or Shrink'), and that's the option I had selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see now that there's a 'Straighten and Crop' option buried in the 'Image' menu. I was using the actual Straighten Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please try resetting the application preferences and try the tool:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift  immediately after Photoshop Elements begins launching. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file.
  • Go to Edit > Preferences, click the Reset Preferences on next launch button, and then click OK. When you restart Adobe Photoshop Elements, all preferences are reset to default settings

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello-- Resetting the preferences didn't make a difference. I tried it when I first experienced the problem and was looking for solutions online, and saw it suggested for a different problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ShailejaSingh, I was able to reproduce the issue on a Windows machine with the original photo attached by @logocop.  The best result for this photo seems to be with the Crop to Remove Background option.  If you use either of the other two options with Autofill enabled, there is an unacceptable result.  Even replacing the sky with a Perfect Landscape Guided Edit results in a bad result with Autofill when using the Straighten tool. 

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.10_14h01m40s_000_SnapCollage.png

@logocop, for a difficult perspective correction like this, you may want to consider the Perspective Crop tool.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.03.10_14h05m38s_007_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines