• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I avoid Elements reconnection nightmare when moving files to Dropbox?

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I plan to use Dropbox as backup for many thousands of images catalogued in Elements Organizer 2020, by move existing folders within the Organizer to the existing Dropbox folder on my laptop.

(1) Am I correct this plan will avoid problems with missing files - that is, I will not have to reconnect subfolders within the folders moved, or individual files, in the Organizer?

(2) are there other pitfalls I should be aware of before I do this (Windows 10)?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Glenn. This would have been very helpful if I wanted to import more files into Organizer. Unfortunately the 60K files are already catalogued and tagged in Organizer so importing I don't think will help.

Maybe I didn't make clear enough in my question that I want to MOVE a hierarchy of folders (folders, subfolders and sub-subfolders) UP to Dropbox without PSE Organizer losing track of their location. To a naive user like me, it looks as if all I have to do is use the MOVE command in the File menu but I've learned to be cautious when asking PSE to do major stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The two major errors in similar cases are:

- to believe that the organizer and the editor can access files on a 'Cloud'

- to believe you have a 'backup' if your files are only in the 'Cloud'.

The good thing is that if you understand that:

- Dropbox, OnDrive, Google Drive or similar are able to synchronize a file structure on your hard drive to their 'Cloud'

- The Organizer and the editor can access the dedicated Dropbox or similar folders like any other folder

... then,

you only have to move your existing file folder trees within the Dropbox or similar system folder.

You can move such a folder tree from the folders panel on the left by drag and drop to the drop box folder. That takes time, but the longer job will be the synching to the Dropbox Cloud.

You now have an original and a real backup structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines