• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I stop Photoshop from saving iPhoto jpeg images as jpg?

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I downloaded the Photoshop Elements 2019 program, it would open my iPhoto jpeg images, but after I altered them, when I would save them Photoshop would save them as a second jpg image. This doubles my work and drives me crazy.

HELP! Please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Save As dialog:

1.  Make sure that the Save As a Copy box is unchecked.

2.  If you are saving in the Organizer, make sure that the Save in Version Set with Original box is unchecked.

Snap10_2019.07.24_20h37m09s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just select SAVE, as I want it to replace the old copy. I never check the Save as a Copy box.  I've tried the Save As command, and even tried changing the jpg to what my image said, jpeg, but it reverts back and then I have two images - one my original jpeg, and one the PE altered version jpg.

So that's not the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I don't used the Organizer at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?  If you are on a Mac and using Time Machine, I believe there are problems.  If you are on Windows, where are the files being saved and what name is being given to the edited copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Mac OS 10.14.5. I'm not accessing Time Machine to do anything, nor would I ever use a Windows machine (shudder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you will have to wait for an answer from somebody who knows something about Macs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, thanks so much for trying to help this Mac maniac.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your photos is from the Apple Photos app then you must save as a second copy. This is how  Apple protects your images and prevents corruption of the library in the Photos app which is designed to enable you to revert to an original at any time. If you are not using Organizer it is possible to edit directly from Photos into the Elements editor by using extensions.

Go to my blog link for more information:

External Editors For Photos  in the App Store

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your attempt to understand my problem. Apple is NOT the problem, however. Photoshop is the problem. I have no difficulty in editing my jpeg images, just in getting Photoshop to STOP saving them as 2nd image jpgs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is NOT with Photoshop ... it is your camera setting.  To turn off the JPEG option on the Canon cameras, go to Menu, select Camera image at top, then select "Image Quality". This option has a setting for "RAW+" and "RAW".  When you select "RAW+", your camera saves a RAW image AND a JPEG image.  To turn this off, just select "RAW" (not RAW+).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines