• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can PE Orientation Corrections Be Saved to the Original Scanned Photo?

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some old photos from the 1970s and 1980s that were taken before digital cameras were invented.  I scanned them into a computer in 2008-2009 and corrected their orientation at that time in Windows.

When I uploaded them to my new computer which uses Windows 11, the orientation was wrong again.  It seems I can fix this using PE 2022, but is there any way I can correct the scanned photo file either through PE or Windows, so that the orientation remains fixed?  I would like a "clean" jpeg file that will keep any changes made so that the photos will be the same, whether viewed in Windows or PE.

I hope this question makes sense.  I have little knowledge of the more intricate workings of either Windows or PE.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Are you talking about the orientation displayed in the Organizer or the Editor?   I have just been playing around with both and I would say that you should always make your changes to the orientation in Elements.  Changes that I make in the Organizer will be displayed the same way in Windows File Explorer's thumbnails, and changes saved in the Editor will also be displayed correctly.  However, changes made in Windows File Explorer>Picture Tools will not be corrected in the Organizer. They will o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the orientation displayed in the Organizer or the Editor?   I have just been playing around with both and I would say that you should always make your changes to the orientation in Elements.  Changes that I make in the Organizer will be displayed the same way in Windows File Explorer's thumbnails, and changes saved in the Editor will also be displayed correctly.  However, changes made in Windows File Explorer>Picture Tools will not be corrected in the Organizer. They will only display correctly if opened in the Editor.  I also did a quick test with changing the orientation in Windows Photos App and the same results occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  I made the orientation changes in Editor, as you suggested, and it worked fine.  It can be so hard to come up with just the right search term to find answers to PE questions, which is why this forum and your kind response are so appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines