• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open layers in a template

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Elements 20, and have purchased templates from a designer. However, the layers do not open, so I cannot add photos, elements etc. Is there an easy way to open the layers? I have been in touch with the designer, and followed the way she told me to do it, but it doesn't work. Thanks, Linda

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

@lindal23280229 said:  In the instructions, you have to bring the templates into the photo bin, then lock all layers on the template, then move it onto the canvas.

Using this approach, all that is going to happen is that the template is going to come into the new file as a Smart Object and will not contain any layers.  (It doesn't matter whether the layers are locked on the template or not.)

There may be more than one way to solve this problem but here is one way that should work.

In the fol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linda, please explain what you mean.  Have you ever worked with layers in Elements before?  Has the designer confirmed to you that the templates will work in Photoshop Elements, or are they designed for Photoshop CC?  Certain layer management options created in Photoshop CC may not work in Elements.   What has the designer told you to do?  And what happens when you do that?  Are you receiving any error messages?

If you are new to Elements, make sure you are in the Expert mode of the Editor, not the Quick mode.  Without more information from you it is difficult to give you any other advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, I am a digital scrapbooker, using Photoshop Elements 20. I have purchased templates from a designer, some of which are to use on a double-page canvas. The templates are 12 x 12, so having watched a video by the designer, I first created a canvas which measured 12 x 24", so as to put two templates together on it. In the instructions, you have to bring the templates into the photo bin, then lock all layers on the template, then move it onto the canvas. However, although I am following all the instructions, when the template is moved onto the canvas, the layers are no longer there. The only way I can use the templates are to use by themselves, not put on a canvas, in which case the layers are there. However, the problem with this, is that I don't know how to use 2 templates together, without putting them onto a canvas. The designer has said that the templates should work properly in Elements. She did suggest contacting Adobe support, in case there is a software problem. Hope this explains the problem I'm having, thanks, Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lindal23280229 said:  In the instructions, you have to bring the templates into the photo bin, then lock all layers on the template, then move it onto the canvas.

Using this approach, all that is going to happen is that the template is going to come into the new file as a Smart Object and will not contain any layers.  (It doesn't matter whether the layers are locked on the template or not.)

There may be more than one way to solve this problem but here is one way that should work.

In the following example, I have created two 2-layered files, each 12x12.  One is a blue rectangle on a white background and the other red on black.  I have also created a third file 24x12. 

1. In the Window>Images menu, use the tile option so that all 3 files are in view.
  2. Select one of the layered template files.
  3. Select all the layers in the template.
  4. Link all the layers in the template.
  5. Click and drag the linked layers to the 24x12 file. 
  6. Use the free transform tool to resize the linked layers to fit one side of the scrapbook page
  7. Wash, rinse and repeat for the second template file to fit on the other side of the scrapbook page.

All layers from both templates should now appear in the layers panel.

In the following screenshots, you will see that the blue on white image was dragged to the new file using your method.  It appears as a Smart Object in the new file.  In the second screenshot, I have used my method to drag the layers over.  So the layers now appear in the document.  I expect there are easier ways to do this.  Perhaps somebody else will come along and give you other ideas.

Snap_2021.08.01_20h58m28s_000.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I will give this a try. Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's another option:

Select all the layers in the template file, link them, and then use the Duplicate command to transfer them to the new scrapbook file.  Linking the layers will ensure that you can move them around together.  If you are not familiar with the duplicate layers command:

1. Select all the template layers
  2. Right-click on the layers and choose Duplicate Layers from the context menu.  A dialog box will pop up.

3.  Choose the new scrapbook file from the dropdown list in the dialog.

Snap_2021.08.01_23h56m44s_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate getting two possible answers from you - will try them both, thanks, Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines