• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't 'Save as' and create a version set (and the original file disappears)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Big Sur 11.6
Mac Mini (M1, 2020)
Adobe Elements Organizer 2022

I select an image in the Organizer and open it in the PSE Editor. I edit the file. I save as.
The file name to be saved is not automatically apended with '-edited 1' as it would have been in previous versions of PSE, but appears as the original file name. If I try to save, I will get 'File already exists. Do you want to replace it?' which I don't, and so I manually change the filename. I can now save, and I check 'Include in Elements Organizer' and 'Save in version set with original'.

The thumbnail for this new file now appears in the Organizer. It is marked in the top right corner with a small icon indicating version set (I assume), but the original file is not visible. If I search for this original file by filename, it can't be found. If I right click on the visible thumbnail and open the context menu, the 'Version set' choice is greyed out. If I select the new thumbnail and choose Edit> Version Set all the sunsequent commands to do with Version Set are greyed out. The original file still exists in its folder on my computer. If I choose File> Get Photos & Videos> From Files & Folders and try and import the original file, this fails with the message: "skipped because already present in the catalog." which it isn't (or isn't visible anyway).
Is this a known issue? Is there a solution?
TOPICS
Mac , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you need to be in the Details view to see version sets.  Press Cmd+D to get into the Details view of the Organizer, and your original photo should be present in the version set if you click on the right-facing arrow.

Snap_2021.12.06_12h28m13s_000.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg. Changing to Details view certainly enables the viewing of versions sets including the original photo.

The issue of edited files not being automatically saved with an indicative file name i.e. *****-edited-1 remains, although changing the file name manually is an easy enough workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In the 'Save As' window, if 'Save in version set with original', is checked, file name should be appended be '-edited-1'. Is this string not appended to the name even if this option is checked?

Thanks,

Somya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right Somya. I am checking 'Save in version set with original' but '-edited-1' is not being appended to the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the exact same problem as Old Tom Moore working with version sets in Elements 2022 on Windows 11. Does Windows have an equivalent to the Cmd + D solution? Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines