• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open Canon CR3 "Raw" with PSE 2021

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to PSE 2021 from PSE 2019 .  There was a post re this problem with PSE 2019 and one of the replies said it might be available with the next upgrade.  What gives 2 updates:PSE 2020 and now PSE 2021 and you still can't open Canon's latest Raw file CR3.  Is this for real?  I was unable to get anyone using the Adobe "Chat" support to answer my question.

BTW:  I know I can use the DNG converter but I don't want to destroy the CR3 as it seems to have a lot of functionality not available in Adobe Camera Raw.  I also know about the Canon Raw software but geeezz!  

The PSE2021 install shows I have the Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw version 13.0.0.612.  There is a version 13.4.  Will this work with CR3.

I don't really have much experience updating "Plug-ins" so I'd like to know if it will solve the CR3 problem before I invest a day or more trying to do the upgrade.  It's taking me 2+ days just trying to get Organizer working.  Nothing is easy with Adobe!!!!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, we need to know what model camera you have that creates the CR3 file.  In my quick search, the latest Canons - the R5 and R6 - only require Camera Raw 12.4.  So, there should be no problem for Elements 2021 to read the files with ACR 13.0.

However, to answer your question, Elements 13.4 should be OK to install in the program if you follow the instructions here.  Since you don't have experience with installing plug-ins, when the instructions talk about the plug-in file, they mean the Camera Raw.8bi file.  I recommend that instead of replacing the old file with the new one, you rename the old one with a tilde at the beginning:  ~Camera Raw.8bi.  If something goes wrong, you can always delete the new plug-in file and replace it with the old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick reply, Greg

My camera is EOS M50 Mark 2.  The CR3 raw file includes some nice new features related to camera settings like identify the specifc subject focus area/spot the camera used.  I understand the DNG converts the raw file so I am thinking I will lose that kind of data.

I'll follow your advice and see if I can get 13.4 installed

Jerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edits in with adobe camera raw in PSE are non-destructive, meaning, the actual raw file is never edited- a copy of it is.  A copy of the raw file can be saved in the DNG format. 

When you edit the image in Camera Raw, it preserves the original raw file data. This way, you can edit the image as you desire, export it, and keep the original intact for future use or other adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just copied and pasted the ACR.8bi file and pasted it in the correct location:

It's the same version number (13.4) found in phtoshop, but it's a pretty stripped down version.  

2021-08-22_143100.jpg2021-08-22_143011.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines