• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot uninstall pse 2021 "error 16" per adobe

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using it a year w/o major issues but now launch gets block and "please uninstall & reinstall the program". Says error 16. But W10 aborts uninstall with error "cannot find the file C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\HDBox\Uninstall.exe". I did not specify that loc, it's where W10 looks. But in explorer I can see no uninstall in that folder. Should I look somewhere else, or . . . ?

TOPICS
Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you suggest this even though I am not on creative cloud at all, so it's not the cause? I appreciate any response, but the Cleaner Tool page indicates some hassle with "precautions". The recommended uses are all about creative cloud, except "remove older adobe software completley". That's not me.

I'm pretty sure this was caused by MS Windows update while PSE was open. PC shuts down & open program is closed, but not properly.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS What happens if I just try an install w/o uninstall first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS What happens if I just try an install w/o uninstall first?

By @ProbablyNot Unique

It's worth trying that before trying the suggestions in my reply that was written while you posted this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cleaner Tool may be used for PSE.

Some users were not able to install PSE without installing the Creative Cloud app.  I had to install the Creative Cloud app before installing PSE2020 on Windows 11.

Try installing the Creative Cloud app and then try uninstalling PSE.  Use the Cleaner tool after uninstalling the Creative Cloud app. if installing the Creative Cloud app does't allow you to uninstall PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Microsoft Uninstall Troubleshooter found here.

You can also try installing the program again.  That sometimes restores the uninstall file.

As for the CC Cleaner, I'm not sure it works with Elements 2021 or 2022.   If it does, there will be a scary option in the first dialog box of ALL.  If you select it, there will be another dialog that opens with all installed Adobe products that can be found.  If Elements 2021 is in the list, choose it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can report that bulling ahead with install, no uninstall, has worked. No oddities so far. Also an uninstall.exe now shown in that folder,

I went ahead after MS Uninstall Troublshooter was a nothingburger. W10 error had already said there was no uninstall where it should be, but Troubleshooter doesn't even show PSE in its program list. ? You can (supposedly) add it, look up a "product number" for the program, which may require an app to find. No thanks, MS.

Not knowing what even caused the error 16, I feel lucky to have escaped, sanity intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines