• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot update PSE 2020, windows 10 latest update, compatible browser.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I can't be the only one with this issue, but searching has gotten me nowhere. 

I have a version of PSE 2020 (Version 18.0 (20200120.m.139570) x64, and just got notified today while using it that there is an update, but, the app will not update.

It just keeps telling me to update my OS and that my browser is no longer supported so update it, or some such nonsense.

The problem is I already have THE latest windows 10 pro update/version, and I use MS Edge, which is also updated to the latest version.

I am running MS Edge in "Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode" and to "Let Internet Explorer open sites in Microsoft Edge".

Edge is set as my default browser.

Any ideas on what I can do?

thanks

Rob

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

@P.5CBE, the linked page has been updated because of the recent release of Elements 2022.  However, you will be able to find a download link for Elements 2020 on your Adobe.com account if you sign into this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this error with Photoshop Elements 2019.

Even though last year I was able to install and not have any errors.

Any hints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob, I'm having the exact same issue as you except that Firefox is my default browser.

I have reinstalled IE11 to no avail.

It appears that the update that we are trying to install is a security fix for IE11 and without it some users may not be able to sign in:

Photoshop Elements 2020 update (version 2020.2)

Updated: 6th January, 2021

Build: Windows: 20201207.m.154403.

After the update is installed, the build number can be verified by clicking Help > About Photoshop Elements.

This Windows-only free update includes a security patch for Adobe Photoshop Elements which allows users to continue using the sign-in/sign-out functionality in Adobe Photoshop Elements. Highlights of this update are:

This Windows-only update is being provided to fix a security vulnerability in Internet Explorer 10.
Users not installing this update may not be able to sign-in to Adobe Photoshop Elements in the future.

So I'm wondering if the update is getting confused (or rather has not been programmed to detect when IE11 has been updated by MS along with WIN 10)?

Of course the big question is why are Adobe still requiring IE11 that will be "retired"in June 2022?

Apparently some IE websites will work with Microsoft Edge’s built-in Internet Explorer mode. Clearly  (as you note) Adobe doesn't work in that mode when trying to apply the update.

The last thing I want to do is reinstall PSE 2020!

I'm not sure if Adobe support monitor this forum, but someone must be able to help us.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest that you call Adobe

Reach us by phone (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with hatstead that you should contact Adobe support.  But in the meantime, are you using a VPN?  If so, try turning it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not using a VPN.

I don't know about calling Tech support for this, I have VERY little time, and quite frankly this is something that should not even be happening, IE 11 is no longer the default browser for Windows 10 and should not be the default go-to for anything, especially updating current software. 

If this isn't something quick and easy then TS will most likely ask me to remove and reinstall, So I'll just remove the program and reinstall it, see what happens. It should check for the latest version during the install, if not then maybe I will contact support when I get the time.

Thanks, everyone for trying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the latest (updated) version of Elements 2020 from this link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Greg, I saw that link on a search and wondered if that was the correct one for what I was looking for. And now I know.

I have the physical version of Elements/Premiere Elements Combo Pack, I will grab the key from there and see if this installer does the trick. I hardly ever use the PE though, as I have PowerDirector 19 and I love it.

thanks again, to everyone, I do appreciate the kind help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Greg,

Whgen clicking on thelink, I see Elements 2021 and 2022. No trace of 2020...
Normal?

Kind regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg, thanks for the link, it worked a treat.

I was able to install the update (and sign on) using FireFox browser.

Regards

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnak You Greg.
O.K. I have found that download link (and already downloaded the program in the meantime), but do you think that if I re-install Elements 2020 I'll be able to update it? Or is that version of 2020 already updated by Adobe itself?
Regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul, my guess is that the download link for Elements 2020 is an updated version.  However, for certain older versions, the download link contains the original release and may have to be updated.  I know this to be the case with Elements 13 (and I have been unable to update it).  If you have not been prompted to update 2020, then it is safe to assume that you have the most recent release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@P.5CBE, the linked page has been updated because of the recent release of Elements 2022.  However, you will be able to find a download link for Elements 2020 on your Adobe.com account if you sign into this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, thanks. I was somewhat afraid to re-install the program, but I did and it now works like a charm!
Thanks again.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get it sorted out? I have exactly the same problem

Derk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, I followed the link, signed in, downloaded the latest installer for my 2020 version, removed the old version and installed the newer one, and now it updates everytime without an issue.

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so as I understand it you have to remove the original installation. 

Did you do this after or before the new installation? 

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is now 9/12/2022 and this problem is still happening.  I didn't remove the original installation before installing the new one, and it still worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines