• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog Conversion Failed

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded from PSE9 to PSE 2020 (yes, I know .....) and I've run into a problem in Organiser converting the catalog.  All seems to run smooothly initially but then crashes out with a Catalog Conversion Failed error.

Following the recommendation in Help, I opened the pse-conversion-log file which ended with the error:

"conversion log: Failed since Original Catalog was open. Close older version of Elements Organizer."

The Original catalog is not of course open but to be sure I rebooted and tried again but with the same outcome.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a solution?

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large is the catalog?  Are there any missing files in the catalog?  If there are, either reconnect or delete them from the catalog. Try repairing and optimizing the version 9 catalog before converting again.  If none of that works, try backing up the catalog in version 9 and restoring it in version 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions Greg_S they've gone some way to resolving the problem.  To answer your questions first, it's a big catalog, I think, (nearly 30,000 item), and I relinked all the files before attempting the conversion so there shouldn't have been any missing files. 

Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything with the original version 9 catalog because the part conversion had rendered it unusable in version 9 but fortunately I had done a backup prior to attempting the conversion so I was able to use that. At this point thing are a bit vague because I'm sure that I specified restoring to a new location but what actually happened was that the backup got "restored" to the backup location and then automatically converted to Organiser 2020 format.  This was fine and the catalog is now working as far as I can tell except that the media files now seem to be copied into the same location as the catalog which isn't ideal as the originals are in a folder backed up to the cloud whereas the new copies are not, so I've now got to work out how to resolve that conundrum (delete the copies and hope that Organiser can relinks to the originals or delete the originals and move the copies to where the originals were and hope Organiser can follow them) - suggestions welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the Cloud to store my original media files so I can't be of much help in advising your next step there.  But, I would say that you can never have enough backups or copies of your valuable media.

Don't feel badly about the mess you have found yourself in.  I have complained for years about how complicated the dialogs are and how it is so easy to come up with an unwanted result.  However, not all is lost. If you want the actual catalog folder to be stored on a different drive than your media, simply move it, using Windows File Explorer.  When you open the Organizer next time, go to the catalog manager and navigate to the location of the moved catalog to open it.

I would also not recommend deleting the existing catalog files and hoping that the catalog will be relinked to the location you desire.  This can be a tedious process.  You would be better off doing another restore of the old catalog and hopefully make the choices that will give you the desired result.

Also, don't be so sure that your Elements 9 catalog has been destroyed.  During conversion of a catalog, it is copied and the old one will receive a new name.  (Currently, the new name is the same as the old with a numeric -1 suffix.  I'm not sure about the old naming scheme.)  So, it is possible that a working version 9 catalog still exists on your machine.  Try looking for a file named catalog.pse9db.  Double-click on any you find and they should open in Elements 9.  Of course, since you now have a working 2020 catalog, this may be of no interest to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you still facing issues in the catalog conversion? Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only issue is that I now have two complete sets of media files in two different locations: location A is automatically backed up to the cloud, Location B is not. Unfortunately, the catalog references the media in location B.  Is there a way to  get the catalog to reference the files in location A instead of B? I've considered deleting all the files in location B and then using "Reconnect" but that seems a bit heavy handed ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have messaged you regarding this issue. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines