• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog External Hard Drive

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PSE2018.  Is there any issue with storing my catalog (I only use one) on an external hard drive?  Will it slow the program down?  Is there any other way to share my catalog between my desktop and my laptop?

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Hi @Elizabeth28665149ntyj ,

No real speed problem to store the catalog on an external drive.

Let's be clear, we are speaking of the catalog folder (the database and its assets) AND what I call the 'library', that is the shared photo/video files folder trees.

You  just use the recommended process to move the catalog to another drive by doing a full backup and a restore to the destination external drive. I am using a very small external USB SSD 1TB drive. I did not observe significant speed differ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Elizabeth28665149ntyj ,

No real speed problem to store the catalog on an external drive.

Let's be clear, we are speaking of the catalog folder (the database and its assets) AND what I call the 'library', that is the shared photo/video files folder trees.

You  just use the recommended process to move the catalog to another drive by doing a full backup and a restore to the destination external drive. I am using a very small external USB SSD 1TB drive. I did not observe significant speed differences between internal or external conventional drives. That's because the catalog data are managed in RAM and in scratch disks. The more RAM, the better. Scratch disk space is equally important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have clarified "catalog" as it is often confusing about what that includes.  I was referring to the information about the photo and video files and not the actual photo and video files.  I assumed there's no issue about keeping these media files on an external hard drive.  I'm glad to hear I can keep the catalog there as well.  I will definitely use the backup/restore process to move everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines