• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog Restore

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to move catalog from old computer to new one.  Both have newly installed Elements 2021.  I perform Full Backup function on old computer to remote hard drive then plug drive into new computer.  Then I run Restore on new computer.  Result is thumbnails but no files.  Can't use Editor without image file.  Tried multiple times with same result.  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There may be an explanation for PSE2021.

What is the size of the backup folder in your external drive? If it's not about the same size as the size of your media files, you have been fooled in thinking you have made a full backup. In that case, the backup has been very quick.

In the backup process from the file menu, the top option is to only backup the catalog structure, which means only the catalog folder and not also the media files, as in previous versions.

Edit:

The result is a copy of the catalog folder and a backup.tly file like in the full backup process. I don't understand the purpose of that (very slow) option, since you can now save the catalog structure directly and rapidly when exiting your editing session. The only difference is that the other option does not backup the thumbnail cache, which will be recreated automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines