• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Confusion between PSE and premiere elements

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just learned that the video editor in Photoshop Elements actually doesn't exist -- it is in another program, called Premiere Elements, which of course costs more money. I can download a trial edition to do the little work I need to do but really, I am only looking for the video editor, not a program that might supersede/overwrite or otherwise disrupt my photo collection in Photoshop Elements.

My questions: (1) if I install Premiere Elements, does Photoshop Elements continue to work separately? (2) if so, can I just use the video editor in Premiere? (3) if Premiere overtakes all of Photoshop Elenents, such that the latter no longer works, what happens to my photo and video files when the Premiere trial ends?

(Had I known the video editor was not included in PSE, I might have bought Premiere elements. But too late now.)

TOPICS
Actions , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Just for completeness, the Organizer comes with both Photoshop Elements (PSE) and Premiere Elements (PRE).  If you first install PSE, the Organizer will also be installed.  If you later install PRE, the installer will look to see if you already have the Organizer installed and will not install it again.  Similarly, if you uninstall only one of the two programs, the Organizer will remain installed and your media catalog will be unaffected.

Another point that may or may not be relevant to your s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier Elements is a completely independant programme to Photoshop Elements. You should be able to install and uninstall the trial without any effect on Photoshop elements. 

Kind regards

Chris 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two Apps are often sold as a pair. They complement each other. It's normal to swap between apps to do your job; an app to do everything would just be too hard to learn. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for completeness, the Organizer comes with both Photoshop Elements (PSE) and Premiere Elements (PRE).  If you first install PSE, the Organizer will also be installed.  If you later install PRE, the installer will look to see if you already have the Organizer installed and will not install it again.  Similarly, if you uninstall only one of the two programs, the Organizer will remain installed and your media catalog will be unaffected.

Another point that may or may not be relevant to your situation:  If you use the Organizer for say version 18 of PSE (Elements 2020), you can not use any shortcut or menu command to open a file for editing directly into PRE version 19 (Elements 2021). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

Greg, as a newbie, I am not sure what your last sentence meant, but I will do my best to avoid doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not clear from your post whether you had purchased an older version of Photoshop Elements and were now using the trial version of Premiere Elements 2021.  If you only have PSE and PRE 2021 installed, there is no problem.

Just to clarify a little more:  If you first install PSE version 18, the Organizer version 18 will be installed.  If you later install PRE version 19, the Organizer version 19 will be installed also and your existing catalog will be updated to the latest version.  The old catalog will be saved and can continue to be used in the older version.  BUT, any work you do on one catalog will not be synched with the other one.  And what I was trying to explain in my prior post is that there are options to select a video file in the Organizer and open it in Premiere Elements for editing.  However, if you were to try to do that with PSE 18 installed without PRE 18, you would get a message that PRE is not installed, even if you have PRE 19 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got it, thanks. I can see where that warning could be important.

As it happens, I am using a purchased PSE 2021 and a trial PRE. But at a quick glance, PRE doesn't do -- or doesn't easily do -- what I needed done. Turns out Windows 10 has a video editor built in that did the truck. I had no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines