Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy Caption from RAW to JPEG?

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help,

I shoot in RAW + JPEG.  Photoshop Elements Organizer 2020 automatically stacks the RAW photo on top of the JPEG, which is wonderful.  I recently added captions in bulk (Ctr-shift-T) to thousands of photos, only to discover that Photoshop Elements doesn't add the caption to the JPEG in the stack! -- only the ARW has the caption (That seems like a bug or feature request to me!)

So my question is this... Is there a way to copy the caption from an ".ARW" to a ".JPEG" with the same file name in the same Windows sub directory ?  Has anyone written a program that will to this?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help you with a method for copying the captions.  But, for the future, you can use the View>Expand All Stacks command to expose both Jpeg+raw files.  You should then be able to add a caption to all selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot in RAW + JPEG.

This is a choice which has a number of consequences. There are reasons to do so:

- because you are in a hurry to share jpegs before having the time to convert and edit

- you really like the jpeg rendition of your camera

- you want a comparison to learn more how to convert your raw files.

I don't think I am alone, I have seen many users  reverting to only shooting raw. For me raw+jpeg is a useless workflow once I know how to export automatically jpeg versions if I am in a hurry and I no longer need the jpeg version of my camera. My normal workflow is to edit in ACR, even jpegs and to nearly always create a full size jpeg version set.

Photoshop Elements Organizer 2020 automatically stacks the RAW photo on top of the JPEG, which is wonderful.

Not for me. I am not alone, for many users, what should be "on top" is the version set, not the underlying 'negative'.

If you shoot raw + jpeg with the raw on top:

- you slow down the navigation in the organizer browsing space

- you lose the ability to simply 'flatten' the set when you think the raw negative is no longer needed.

- I imagine you no longer need the original jpeg after creating a version set with jpeg or tiff/psd. Not easy to delete the original jpeg in the stack and the version set.

I understand the need to assign the same caption in a collapsed stack or a version set (like keywords), but I also understand that if you want to create several version sets, you may want a distinct caption for each version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your insight, Michael.  All the reasons you stated are reasons why I 've been shooting in RAW + JPEG. 

I hadn't thought about which should be on top, I had liked the idea that they were together.

Anyway, you've convinced me to abandon RAW + JPEG in favour of RAW....

Still, I see this as a 'bug' - adding a caption to the version set should copy the caption to the 'children' in that set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll try to play the part of the 'Devil's advocate'...

A bug is something which does not work 'as intended'.

Are you sure that adding a caption to the version set should copy the caption to the 'children' in that set is intended but badly implemented?

I have mentioned a reason why some users may want different captions for different 'version sets'; it's the same for different stack members.

Then, if you don't agree with the intent, you are free to consider it as a very bad choice and voice your opinion in the feedback forum;

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/photoshop-elements/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40873

It's not frequent that Adobe staff confirms a reported issue 'is as designed'.

Another difference of behaviour in version sets: when you create a version set, the caption is inherited in the children.

When you add a caption in a collapsed version set, only the 'top of version set' is changed...

When you add keywords in a collapsed stack, all members inherit the keywords...

I imagine the reason is that inherited features in version sets only works in the version creation and that captions are often considered titles, not keywords / text data for searching. If you give a different title for a color or black and white version, that may make sense.

Very confusing anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines