• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not initialize Photoshop Elements because of a program error - Windows 10

Explorer ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to start the Photoshop Elements 2020 editor it often fails with the popup message:

Could not initialize Photoshop Elements because of a program error

The Organizer works fine and Premiere Elements starts up OK.

If I reboot my machine and try to use the editor straight away it works, but sooner or later the problem comes back. So something is happening in the day to day use of the machine that is causing the editor to fail, but what?  It is obviously very frustrating to have to reboot when I want to edit a photo! The error message isn't terribly helpful, and implies that the program is reporting a fault in itself. Are there any logs which would expand on the error message?

The machine runs Windows 10. I have 64GB of memory and task manager is reporting over 35GB of memory available at the time of failure so I don't think the problem is a shortage of RAM.

Any ideas?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience due to Photoshop Elements 2020 on your Windows machine. Please ensure you have all available Windows updates installed on the computer.

You can also try to reset the preferences of Photoshop Elements using the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/preference-file-locations-photoshop-elements.html#Rest...

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have solved this problem, or at least discovered how to avoid it.

I tried resetting the preferences, and that worked briefly, letting me open the editor once. Then the problem came back.

I then remembered an earlier problem I had had with the Elements Organizer (folder view spontaneously jumping to the top after being scrolled down). This problem turned out to be apparent interference from the background activities of the file synchronization tool "SugarSync". I wondered whether this could be another manifestation of the same thing.

I tried getting rid of SugarSync and I haven't had the problem since!

I have no idea what SugarSync can be doing that causes these strange effects. I wasn't synchronizing any files that Elements would be expected to use. I did report the earlier incident to SugarSync, even sending them some log files, but they said they couldn't see anything happening. They were not interested in pursuing it further.

I have now switched my file synchronization to NextCloud so I hope not to have any more problems like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is strange but not unheard of. We have seen other apps in the past that cause conflict with certain processes and services related to the Adobe apps. But I am glad you were able to find a solution and things are working now.

Please let us know if you face the issue again.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines