• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Couple in a field of flowers

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to grasp layer and adjustment masks, and how to use them effectively.  I am working on a project.  It calls for putting an image of a person in a field of flowers (I have both photos - the field of flowers and the person).  I want the person to be partially obscured by the flowers.  My thought was to open the field of flowers (image 1), then copy the person to it (image 2), then add a layer mask of the first image (the field) and "paint away" the portion of that image that obscures the person.  But I obviously am doing lots of things wrong.

I'm using PSE 15.

I've watched videos, read my user guide, even bought a book on PSE, but I just can't seem to do this.

Any help greatly appreciated.  I hope I've explained what I'm trying to do clearly enough that someone can tell me how to do it.

Here's the effect I want:

example woman in field of flowers.jpg

I have the photo of the grass and dandelions, and the photo of a person.  Is it possible to drop her into the photo of the field, as shown?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

ppearce43  wrote

I have the photo of the grass and dandelions, and the photo of a person.  Is it possible to drop her into the photo of the field, as shown?

Yes.

1. Open the photo of the grass & dandelions, and the photo of the person without any background. If the person-photo has a background, delete it.
  2. Use the move tool to position the person in the grass..
  3. The grass-dandelion will be Background layer, and person will be Layer 1
  4. Open a blank new layer above this - Layer 2
  5. Activate the clone stamp too

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Here are some options:

1. You can use one of the selection tools, e.g. lasso tool or selection brush, to select the foreground, then place this on a new layer (press CTRL+J), then delete the original layer

2. If the background is a solid color, you can use the Magic wand tool to select it, then delete the background by hitting delete on the keyboard

3. If the background is complex, one can use a mask  to "mask"it. You paint with black on the mask to hide what you wish to mask from view, If you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ppearce43  wrote

Yes.

1. Open the photo of the grass & dandelions, and the photo of the person without any background. If the person-photo has a background, delete it.
  2. Use the move tool to position the person in the grass..
  3. The grass-dandelion will be Background layer, and person will be Layer 1
  4. Open a blank new layer above this - Layer 2
  5. Activate the clone stamp tool, and work on Layer 2. On the tool's option bar, be sure that "Sample all Layers" is checked.
  6. Proceed to clone grass and dandelions over the person to achieve the effect. You will need to clone small areas serially. Note, you can vary the layer opacity of the 3 layers to suit.

If you are so inclined, post the 2 pictures (or similar) so that we may work on them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back soon as I can work on this. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great help, worked out great, but I'm sure you guys can improve on my feeble effort.  Thank you very much.tulip field.jpg

Here are the photos I started with:

girl.jpggirlinfield.jpg

I will watch for your posts to see how the pros do it.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you.

I brightened the sky a bit and placed a frame around the pic.

It still looks a bit fake, since the tulips in the front are blurred and the ones towards the back are more in focus. The camera's focal point would appear to be off.

tulip+field copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks great. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a step by step in Adobe help ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you delete a background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some options:

1. You can use one of the selection tools, e.g. lasso tool or selection brush, to select the foreground, then place this on a new layer (press CTRL+J), then delete the original layer

2. If the background is a solid color, you can use the Magic wand tool to select it, then delete the background by hitting delete on the keyboard

3. If the background is complex, one can use a mask  to "mask"it. You paint with black on the mask to hide what you wish to mask from view, If you go too far and make a mistake, you  can reverse /reveal with a white brush.  Black hides; white reveals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you, I'll follow what you say.  I may have to look up terms like "mask".  appreciate you took the time. 

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines