• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dark areas print shiny

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this is not a PE problem per se.  When I print an image after working or restoring a photo the dark areas are shiny.  I am so far from an expert I have no idea why or how to fix it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Using an HP printer.   Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Try this:

1. Open the picture file

2. Go to Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels. Access the white eyedropper in the dialog to reset the white point. With the eyedropper, click on a "light " area below the fence. When I did this the entire picture came to life - the foliage at the bottom became visible!

3. Open a levels adjustment layer at the top and play a little with the 3 sliders. With my equipment this had little additional effect. 

4. As for printing, we have to consider the resolution. The reso

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several questions:

1. Does the picture look ok on screen?

2. Have you calibrated your monitor?

3. Are you using branded ink & paper, e.g. Epson for Epson printer?

4. If you are so inclined, post a representative picture for us to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.  The only time the darks are shiny is after printing.  Image looks fine head on but if you look from the side the darker areas shine.  Looks fine onscreen, no issues there.  Monitor is calibrated as best I can do without buying fancy software.  No...I will go buy some HP paper and try that.  I didn't consider it might be a printer/paper/ink incompatibility issue.  Like I said...I'm far from an expert.   The photo is prior to restoration.  All the darker areas shine, even some of the darks in the sky.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. Open the picture file

2. Go to Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels. Access the white eyedropper in the dialog to reset the white point. With the eyedropper, click on a "light " area below the fence. When I did this the entire picture came to life - the foliage at the bottom became visible!

3. Open a levels adjustment layer at the top and play a little with the 3 sliders. With my equipment this had little additional effect. 

4. As for printing, we have to consider the resolution. The resolution of this file is 72 px/in. That is ok for web work, but for printing the rule of thumb is that the resolution should be in the 240-300 px/in range, although I have printed successfully below this value.

Go Image>Resize>Image size. Change 72 to 240, check Resample and Constrain proportions. ok it.

5. Make a test print

shiny_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will most definitely try that....that I understand!  Thanks so much.  That picture I sent was prior to me scanning it at 400 dpi but since I don'r really understand all that it may have made no difference.  But the pixels....I never knew that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dpi=dots per inch. This is a metric realated to your printer/scanner. 

ppi=pixels per inch - - - resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That paper idea is probably your issue.     When I printed with my inkjet I happened to like shiny prints.  Now I onl yprint on a color laser printer- or I take it to a local printshop and they print it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can try that too!  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks....I found some HP paper and that and the post form hatstead solved the issue.  I only wish there were classes in my area so I could really get this down.  Guess I could look for online info but my needs are small and I can't do anything sophiscated.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking about this image, and opened it in "camera raw."

Go to File>open as. Point to your image, and in the drop-down select Camera Raw

This brings up several sliders which are intuitive and can enhance the scan. Then, if you wish to open in conventional Editor, cick the Open Image button, lower right.

shiny_3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did all of the above except camera raw which I will try next.  Then I found a few sheets of HP paper.  My issues is now solved.  Thank you so much for all the good advice.  The enhancement was amazing.  My scan was from a photo that had faded over the years and I didn't recall how good it really looked.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines