• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dark Interface

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please have a dark program interface again. That's better for the eyes. That can not be so difficult to bring with an update... 

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Hi Glenn, Walter and Greg,

There is a lot to say about the interest of a 'Dark interface'.

I have just discovered that Bridge, the other assets management available for PSE users together with the organizer does offer the choice of 4 shades of interface from dark to light. Interesting to compare your own preferences. Now, I'll never use the dark one, possibly the lighter one. The dark one is much too aggressive with text. That reminds me of the white over black text interface of the 80', which

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your desire for a dark interface is nothing new.... and will with 99.9999999% certanty, simply never happen.  "But it's what we want" doesn't matter.....

Adobe has discussed this at length in the past... I have presented the science behind why a light colored interface is better, yet users simply don't care- they want a "dark mode interface".

Bottom Line: Keep wishing, it's probably not goingto do any good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Glenn 8675309, I'd be interested in reading your science behind why a light colored interface is better. Have you posted this in the past? If so, I missed it. Can you post it again?

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this request with us. I've made a note of it and shall pass this on to the team.

Regards,

Medha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Glenn, I would also like to see the science.  It's contrary to anything I have ever seen about the proper environment for editing.

Walter, you may be interested in this well-known optical illusion, showing how the mind plays tricks with shades of gray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn, Walter and Greg,

There is a lot to say about the interest of a 'Dark interface'.

I have just discovered that Bridge, the other assets management available for PSE users together with the organizer does offer the choice of 4 shades of interface from dark to light. Interesting to compare your own preferences. Now, I'll never use the dark one, possibly the lighter one. The dark one is much too aggressive with text. That reminds me of the white over black text interface of the 80', which were soon replaced by white on green on the CRT monitors (I have still one in my attic...)

On the other hand, I spend a lot of time on Firefox on the web. The ergonomy requirements are more important since text is predominant. I have tested the dark interface option and I am not really convinced.

Before the recent discussions of the topic in this forum I was convinced that the main general problem for eye strain was the same as the problem to have the ideal environment for long periods of retouching, especially with color management. The number one problem discussed on all retouching forums is that the majority of displays are much, much too bright. Judging by the complaints of dark interface advocates, they are probably in that dangerous situation. The simple criteria for organizer users is to be able to see all of the subtle differences of grey for the different selections and parts of the interface: there is no white, only light grey. I understand why one might want to get the same dark or light UI for all of their apps. However, is it a matter of proven ergonomy or a personal preference?

That said, about what you can expect from Adobe, be sure they are aware of the recommended UI choices for their different apps, and they prove they are able to offer a choice to the user as stated above for Bridge. The other thing they are more informed about than we are, is the market statistics about the preferences of their customers. I was surprised to see a lighter interface in the elements 2022 versions. I can't imagine that it does not come from a serious market study showing the preference to the light UI. I would not be surprised if there were an effort to please the younger PSE customers (laptops) vs the ageing ones (desktops).

@Gunter22186410gu0r  says:

"That can not be so difficult to bring with an update... "

Well I agree with Glenn, that's not a realistic statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A light interface, now, is believed to be much better in regards for eye strain when looking at the canvas work area for an extended time.  It also has something to do with how the human eye perceives the colors on the canvas when surround with a light interface vs a dark interface.  

Yes I know older versions of PSE had a darker interface- but I believe the desire for a dark interface is more of a "it's the thing" sort of deal. 

I don't work for Adobe, but, I really think they simply won't budge on this- no reason to.   

You can make requests, type in ALL CAPS to let people know you're serious and you mean it, but it propably will not do much good.

I have the full version of photoshop- but  I don't use it that much- I haven't changed the interface color- but it does look pretty cool in black. 

The second image shows how easy it is to change the interface in the full version of Photoshop--- It seems like it should be easy to "code it" for PSE.  You gotta be willing to pay for it though-- there's a reason why PSE is so cheap.   If it gets any more expensive- even breaking the $99 price- it makes sense to pay $10.84 a month for the full version. Yes, I only pay $10.84 a month for it-- it's up to date, and any template works in it.

These2022-01-13_165138.png2022-01-13_165254.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm spending some time this morning finding actual scientific on  this, and just not some links from stories on websitesites like "mommy magic"...

Much of the discussion of dark interfaces appears to have developed from text readers, like kindle, and ways to deal with the "blue light" from people staring at tablet in bed reading, and that staring affecting the quality of their sleep.

balck and white.png

Interfaces (like in pse), don't require a lot reading text usually, so eye strain is les when compared t ositting and reading lots of pages of text- like what you see here: black text on a white background. 

design engineers like dark mode: is saves battery life apprently.

I'll add more links to studies when I find them to this post. 

This first one is rather interesting---- doesn't provide a lot of hard data tables, but it does view things from an engineering viewpoint.  The references at the end list all sorts of things to think about when discussing design interfaces.
http://hj.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1464394/FULLTEXT01.pdf

A nice one on digital eye strain:  I talks about "Critical flicker–fusion frequency" and "Pupillary light reflex and size".  This one has a "gold mine" of hyperlinked stuff at the end of it. 

https://bmjophth.bmj.com/content/3/1/e000146

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines