Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default file saving format in PE 2021

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to set default file saving format in Photoshop Elements 2021? I would like to be able to save them quicker as JPGs.
I'm aware of the "process multiple file" option, but it doesn't suit my needs as it won't let me save to the network drive.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use "save for web" and pick JPG for the first one.   After that it will default to JPG when you choose save for web.  Make sure you max out the jpg settings when you save that first one so future "save for web" saves it with those settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I 'save for web' I get a lower resolution file.  I need pictures in jpeg that are relatively high resolution (both for Shutterfly books and for printing).  Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

philipr22,

I think what your seeing is that Save for Web removes any metadata from the file to keep the file size smaller

as the pixel dimensions are what matter when displaying images on web pages.

Thereafter, opening the file, whether back into photoshop elements or some other application, will have the "resolution" at 72, 96 or some other lower number. In reality the file is the same if you look at the pixel dimensions.

If you need to have a file with the resolution the same as it was, for example 300, then use File>Save As>JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right that the save for web does not include the date and time the photo was taken, which is very important when organizing photos from three or four sources for a Shutterfly book.  I need to process 100's (even over 1000) of photos and want the save to default to jpeg.  I can't figure out how to do this.  Also with HEIC photos (or any photo where editing has created layers), when I close a photo in PSE after I have just saved a jpeg, it always asks if I want to save the HEIC file that I just saved "before closing."  Is there a way to disable this?  It is annoying and time consuming, as is having to specify that I want to save it in JPEG with each photo.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great tip, Glenn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always done it for PNG's never have even really looking into manually editing stuff to do it. 99% of my saves are PNG files--- I've never saved anything in the pixar format, I know what it is , just have never used it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@philipr22174760 said: When I 'save for web' I get a lower resolution file. 

That's the whole point of saving for web.  The size and resolution of files is reduced to make them load faster on a web page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines