• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

depth of colour

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, how much is the depth of colour, PSE 2021 can deal with? is it 16 bit (or more) or only 8bit as in former times?

Thanks and best regards

Ralf

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ralf,

There is nothing new about 16 bits support in Elements, and that's a good thing since PSE has 16 bits support when it's needed.
You are shooting raw? All internal computation is performed both in 16-bits and in a wide color space (a flavor of Prophoto). Remember that if you shoot jpeg, you are necessarily in 8-bits.

When you have edited in ACR, check the menu to open the converted file, and you have the choice to open either in 16 or 8 bits in the pixel editor. If you choose 16-bits, nearly all useful global edits are available. You know, those who enable you to prevent posterization. That includes a number of filters.

You have to know that for editing of details (sharpening, dust removal) with the tool palette, only 8 bits is supported: 16 bits has no visible advantage for those edits.

Also, you can't work on layers in 16 bits. So you'll have to convert to 8 bits before your layer work. Indeed, some strong creative blend modes can lead to posterization, but for normal blend mode and compositing, 16-bits editing does not bring any advantage, only more weight for your layered files.

So, I have set my ACR to convert to 8 bits to 'Open' in the editor.

Also remember that your resulting edited file will be viewed or printed in 8-bit only devices even if you are an advanced amateur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, my question has been answered. I do not like the rental model with monthly payment for the use of software.

As I do the RAW development within lightroom (6.14), I only need PSE when using layers (non destructional work!). So I am going to replace my PSE with Affinity Photo.

Best regards

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines