• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different scanners, different options

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop Elements 2021 for a while with my HP Envy 7800 printer/scanner/copier/fax. With that scanner, I can select anything up to 1200dpi resolution. I am now replacing my HP with an Epson ET-4850 printer/scanner/copier/fax. When I try to scan using that scanner, I can only choose between 100dpi and 300dpi. The Epson software will let me go to 1200dpi, but Photoshop Elements is limited to 300dpi. Unfortunately, the Epson software will not allow me to scan multiple photos at one time and separate them into separate files. Any assistance in getting to at least 600dpi is welcome.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DPI = dots per inch. This is determined by your printer. I have 2 Epson printers and the print quality is superb, esp. with Epson paper & Epson ink.

PPI = pixels per inch. This refers to resolution and can be optimized in PSE via Image menu>resize>image size. In the dialog that opens you can boost the resolution with resampling. Be sure that "Constrain Proportions" is checked. The rule of thumb is that for printing the resolution should be in the 240-300px/in range, though I have printed successfully at a lower value. For web work 72px/in is ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is useful after the image is scanned in, but I am wanting to actually SCAN the image at higher than 300ppi. However, thank you. I may not have been clear that my desire is to SCAN at 600ppi, not convert later, which would lose clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is useful after the image is scanned in, but I am wanting to actually SCAN the image at higher than 300ppi. However, thank you. I may not have been clear that my desire is to SCAN at 600ppi, not convert later, which would lose clarity.

By @RbrtLls

Hi @RbrtLls 

I have been looking for the specs for your new all-in-one printer: I have not found anywhere the max resolution, so I believe that it can't do more than 300 dpi. The software can deal with superior quality scanners, that does not give more resolution to your printer/scanner.

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_C11CJ60202~faq-00009d0-shared?faq_cat=faq-8796127569996

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I have found a work around. The printer/scanner came with a program called Epson ScanSmart. Using the Epson software, I can scan in at up to 9600dpi, then save the scan to the hard drive. Then I can load the saved scan into PSE and accomplish my goals.

On further exploration, I have found that PSE queries the Twain compliant printer scanner for its resolution. My HP printer scanner reports 1200dpi, but my Epson only reports 300dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a followup, the Epson ET-4850 scanner has an optical resolution of 2400dpi and an interpolated resolution of 9600dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that the problem is not a PSE problem. It is an Epson problem, so I am pursuing it on an Epson forum. I am going to see if Epson can update their software to report a more accurate maximum resolution for their scanner to PSE's query.

Thank you for your assistance. It truly did help me focus on what the real problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your desire to scan above 2400ppi- the human eye can see on the average 170dpi, 300 ppi max.  Any number of references indcate to scan above 1200 dpi is simply overkill.

The specs for your scanner:  

• 1200 x 2400 dpi optical resolution, 9600 dpi interpolated resolution, and 24-bit color depth for good-quality printed text and images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't want to scan above 2400dpi. I want to have the option of scanning above 300dpi, at either 600dpi or possibly 1200dpi. When PSE queries the Epson scanner as to its maximum scan resolution, the Epson responds with 300dpi. Then, PSE won't let me scan above 300dpi. (My old HP scanner responded with 1200dpi, and PSE would then let me scan at 600dpi or 1200dpi.)

I am wanting to scan in some old, small, photos and enlarge them. At 300dpi, they get very grainy. That is why I want to scan at 600dpi or 1200dpi, to keep them from getting grainy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines