• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disk Error message, not getting updates, problem with media cache ownership and more

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am learning a hard lesson on what NOT to do when getting a new computer AND starting a newer version of PSE. I need help. I store ALL my original photos on an external hard drive. I specified this when bringing my previous catalog into PSE21. I've contacted Support twice, had 1 screen sharing session which "seemed" to solve initial usage problems(bizarre zooming, no updates). Then one day out of the blue I started getting disk error messages when opening a just edited RAW image.

Related issues are that when BB transferred my data from old computer to new, they screwed up user accounts. Instead of MY account name used to log-in on the computer, my user account name became the former computer's hard drive name....What this created, amongst hours of sorting through Get Info files for MULTIPLE folders to check access rights, was a very bizarre pathway to the media cache for my catalogue which is stored on the computer's hard drive. I cannot change this pathway to my account name.  Whether any of this is related is beyond my now foggy brain.

I had another session set up with Support to resolve the disk error message(this occurs when I am in Editor, with Raw Files. I am able via Editor to re-open regular in regular Editor a previously edited RAW image. When I go to save it, I am reminded I previously saved it as a .PSD file. I can also open a saved PSD file saved from an edited RAW file.) However after going through numerous Application files, and related support files insuring my log-in account had adequate permissions, the problem disappeared so I didn't see the need for a second screen sharing session. During that time I was able to load RAW files into editor, edit them and save them as either .psd or .jpeg, save with other changes in editor, rename and save the files back to a different folder on my EHD. Now the problem has returned. Since the media cache pathway was the same during the time I was able to save I am not sure if that is an issue or it is something else.

During the 1st Screen Share with Support I also mentioned I was not getting notification of program updates. The technician opened some folders, renamed files, moved some contents around and assured me, I would now receive PSE updates. No, I am not and have never received them since downloading and installing PSE21.

I could go on with continuing issues of zooming, which did improve slightly after that first Support call, very odd scrolling leaps and bounds, and having to reset tools...but either PSE is one jumpy little beastie, or there are other issues that need fixing. If I have to take the computer (Mac Big Sur) back to BB and have them re-do EVERYTHING, they will not need to touch my photo EHD. Perhaps resetting my log-in name to be the user's name and re-downloading PSE21(apparently now PSE21.2 which I only learned when coming into the support community) is the best solution. 

If anyone has had similar issues, or knows what can address the major issue for me, not being able to save edited RAW images, I would REALLY appreciate your input and guidance. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

TOPICS
Mac , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It sounds as if you have no backups if your photos? If that's the case it would be the very first thing to resolve, before touching anything else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines