• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display Photos in "Date Created" order rather than "Date Modified" order.

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photos asre being displayed in  are "Date Modified" order rather than  "Date Created" order.  Therefore the pictures are not in chronological order.  Is there a way to have PSE disdplay them xhronilogically using "Date Created" from Explorer?

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CLARIFICATION:   I want the pictures to be displayed in chronological order of the photo's EXIF Date Time, not hte file info created by Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you read this article about the various dates that are used by the Organizer.

You can change the order in which files are displayed in the Sort By drop down menu and in the Edit>Preferences>General dialog (Ctrl+K).  Let us know if you still have questions about putting your files into chronological order.

Ashampoo_Snap_2022.02.14_15h53m45s42_multi.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but that does not solve the problem.  In the article you cite is says: 

"Under FILE PROPERTIES:

• Date Created: This is the date/time which OS assigns to a media when it is created for the first time on system HDD.
  • Date Modified: When you modify an image, then the new date/time are stored in ’Date modified’ field.

Please note that these properties are assigned by OS and Organizer only reads these from OS.

I wish Organizer could use the   CAMERA DATA: Date Time Original or Capture date: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements does use the camera data (Date Time Original) for the sort order in the grid.  In my experience, the only time it may not is if you are importing files from a smart phone and the files have been imported to the phone from a social media app. 

So have you played around with the settings to see whether they give you the order you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my photos were imported from the camera.  It appears my problem is if I move the file from where it was originally imported to, to a different directory..  For instance I originally imported to a camera-based directory, then moved them to a subject based direc tory anf then run PSE and it picks up the date from the final directory's location. 

Moving a file to a diffect directory after it has been imported into PSE also creates problems with 'lost' files. 

Not havinf fun trying to solve this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe is only happening because you are moving files around outside of the Organizer.  You should never do that.  All file management must take place within the Organizer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too late now with 6000+ photos.  Will lose all tags if I reload.  Unfixable!!  Boooo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@GunstonBootlatch said:

Will lose all tags if I reload.

Not necessarily.  You haven't given us all the details of what you have done or what kind of tags you are talking about e.g. Keyword tags or People, Places, Event tags.  But you can write all catalog tags you have applied to the file's metadata (using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+W).  If you were to then create a new catalog and import the files, the keyword tags will still be present in the files and can be mapped to the new keyword tag structure.  You can even export the existing catalog keyword structure and import it to a new catalog.  System tags cannot be mapped to the People, Places, Events structure, but they will still be imported into the Imported Keyword Tags category.  It is then a fairly easy job to adjust the tag structure to replicate the existing one. 

Unless you have created some unusual tags, you may find that the program's Smart Tags are sufficient for your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines