• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate XMF files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migrated to new computer.  Used backup and Restore.  Somehow I am seeing duplicate XMF files sprinkled throughout a majority of my restored folders.  I have run the Elements application after the restore but haven't edited anything.  Noticed when I did a large compare of files on old vs new machine.  All the "new" XMF files are <old_name>-1.XMF and so far are identical to previous version of XMF files that I have looked at more closely.

Anybody have a clue why this happened?  Think it is safe to delete the newly -1 versions?

TOPICS
Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you mean xmp files, not xmf?

If so, they are small text files storing the edits you have made to raw files.

The -1 suffix is added by your OS when you copy or import duplicate filenames in the same subfolder. I am afraid only you can help us to find the faulty user error.

Edit:

The only risk would be to lose the latest paramatric edits in ACR, but the original file would not be altered at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - XMP files.  That will teach me to do post late at night when I was tired. 

The duplicate files are exact duplicates - no change whatsoever in the the file so no chance to lose any edits.   

Don't see how it was added by OS as you suggested - at least not by a Windows OS which typically puts "copy" in the name and then copy(x) etc.

Files seem to have been generated during the restore operation.  Only opened up Elements and Organizer a few times to see if contect looked intact - never made any new edits.  

Otherwise thanks for the snide remark about user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No user error according to your description. The duplication most probably took place on a restore or import session. It regularly happens to find duplicated media files with the -1 suffix (not -1.xmp suffix) during the import process (also probably in the restore one) and the files are already in their import folder. The files are imported and renamed to fit in the subfolder even if the downloader recognizes the files are already in the catalog and does not register them in the catalog. You get a message telling you which files have been skipped from the import, but even if the catalog is exempt from dupes, they are in the folders. It's the first time I see those duplicates for xmp sidecar files. New edits should not create those duplicates. What is your OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines