• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Easiest way to remove background around figure?

Contributor ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in PSE 2021. I've got a number of sketches of women on colored backgrounds that I'm making into PNGs so that I can resize and use them in other artwork. Attached is an example of one that I have saved as a PNG.

I have not used PSE 2021 very much, I confess. As there's more than one way to do things in PSE, I'm wondering, since I've gotten this far, what's a fast and easy way to get rid of the remaining "background" around her figure? Is there a way to use the Guided Edit for removing an object from a background to do this? (I'm thinking not). Which tool/method would be best?

Many thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Try this on the Expert tab:

1.Open the picture file

2. From the enhance menu, Adjust lighting> increase contrast & decrease brightness

3. Activate the the Magnetic lasso tool and select the sketch (inside the remaining background.) Once the selection is complete, place it on a new layer (press CTRL+J)

4. Activate the eraser tool and with a small cursor tidy up any remaining pixels.black_2.png

5. Delete the original layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

I moved the contrast slider to maximum and reduced the brightness just a bit.

Two other options for your consideration:

1. If the background is a solid color (your posting of the sketch has already been manipulated to some extent), then the magic wand tool may be used to select the background, and delete same

2. You can apply a mask to the sketch. The drill is to paint with black in order to hide what you don't wish to see. If you go too far by mistake, paint with white to correct. Black hides,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this on the Expert tab:

1.Open the picture file

2. From the enhance menu, Adjust lighting> increase contrast & decrease brightness

3. Activate the the Magnetic lasso tool and select the sketch (inside the remaining background.) Once the selection is complete, place it on a new layer (press CTRL+J)

4. Activate the eraser tool and with a small cursor tidy up any remaining pixels.black_2.png

5. Delete the original layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I am doing this correctly--my results are not coming out that great. I am not sure how much of a contrast the magnetic tool needs to "see" the lady's figure. Is there a number(s) I should be aiming for on the Enhance part? I'm also ending up with parts of the figure missing when I delete the original layer. I always find the Lasso tools very challenging to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved the contrast slider to maximum and reduced the brightness just a bit.

Two other options for your consideration:

1. If the background is a solid color (your posting of the sketch has already been manipulated to some extent), then the magic wand tool may be used to select the background, and delete same

2. You can apply a mask to the sketch. The drill is to paint with black in order to hide what you don't wish to see. If you go too far by mistake, paint with white to correct. Black hides, white reveals.

Layer Masks In Photoshop Elements Clearly Explained (essential-photoshop-elements.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Masking 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines