• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing and saving jpeg in Photoshop Elements 2020 degrades image when viewed on TV

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use my Samsung TV for viewing my jpegs.

Jpegs that are not edited and jpegs that are edited in MS Photos display properly.

Jpegs that are edited and saved in PSE 2020 are degraded. It's a though a very light green haze or film has been applied to them. The effect is generally subtle, and if you were looking at one of the affected jpegs in isolation you might not notice anything wrong. But viewed alongside the unedited original it's obvious that the picture has changed. Less sharp and a green tint.

I mostly don't edit my jpegs, so it isn't a huge problem. I would be grateful though for any suggestions that might help me fix this.

I view the jpegs by connecting a USB drive to the TV.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a color profile issue - try playing with the Color Space setting on your TV:

What is the Color Space Setting? (Samsung website)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the white point on the offending picture files to see if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm reluctant to change the TV's colour settings because the TV displays everything else properly, including jpegs edited using MS Photos. And if I reset the white point, then the picture looks different on my computer monitor.

If I plug the USB into my Xbox and view the images using Media Player, the edited images display correctly.

There's something going on between PSE edits and the TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the devices or softwares you are mentioning are color managed except Elements. We don't know either if your computer screen is color calibrated via an hardware probe like a Spyder. So, it's already a miracle that you get about the same look in various devices.

In similar cases where you can't even trust your uncalibrated computer display, the best solution is to set all your devices to sRGB. Don't rely on the default TV setting you find pleasing. Most TVs can be set to sRGB.

For your computer, you need a calibration hardware and a correct choice in the Edit >> preference >> color settings, in your case, optimize for computer screen.

What's the color space of the photos you are viewing?

on the bottom left border of the image window, you have a menu showing by default the document dimensions. You can select the option to show the color profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct, neither of the devices is colour managed. 

However, the unedited (out of camera) jpegs look pleasing to me on both the computer monitor and the TV.

Jpegs edited in PSE look just as good on the monitor, but acquire a greenish hue on the TV.

Jpegs edited in MS Photo and viewed on the TV don't have this greenish hue.

To my understanding, PSE must be doing something to the jpegs that the TV can't process properly.

The TV is about 10 years old. It's nice, but nothing special.

The color space is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (8bpc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines