• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing exif data in elements 2018

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way of editing exif data in Elements 2018 organizer? It would be nice to include data from a manual lens that can't be read by the camera.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't edit the exif fields about lenses from the editor or organizer, you can only read them.

There are external utilities like exiftool which let you edit them.

I don't know your purpose, but why not simply create a custom keyword to add in your catalogs? You can 'write metadata to files' if you want that info to be stored in the file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply. That should work just fine. I just want to make a note of the lens data the camera can't read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get photos from other people.

I'd like to use the iptc|/Author field, for instance.

I'd like to use Subject/itle, Comments, and Notes fields, too.

As best I can see or read, there is no capability other than caption

And writing any keywords back into the file.

Oh Geez!

I just clicked on the ... that  follows the IPTC heading in the Metadata display under Information.  And whoosh there appeared this Edit IPTC Information form.  Is that new in 2020?  It is not in the 2019 Organizer Guide pdf.  And I can select  multiple images from the media view and am still able to open this form.  That is really nice.  What did I not read that I missed that?  Maybe it did not exist when Michael wrote his post.  Is there anything else like that 'hidden away'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get photos from other people.

I'd like to use the iptc|/Author field, for instance.

I'd like to use Subject/itle, Comments, and Notes fields, too.

As best I can see or read, there is no capability other than caption

And writing any keywords back into the file.

Oh Geez!

I just clicked on the ... that  follows the IPTC heading in the Metadata display under Information.  And whoosh there appeared this Edit IPTC Information form.  Is that new in 2020?  It is not in the 2019 Organizer Guide pdf.  And I can select  multiple images from the media view and am still able to open this form.  That is really nice.  What did I not read that I missed that?  Maybe it did not exist when Michael wrote his post.  Is there anything else like that 'hidden away'?

By @cj02139

Yes, that info was given here in this forum by an Adobe staff member in answer to an old discussion about the IPTC management. I have quoted that solution in a number of more recent discussions. In short, you can read (and edit some) IPTC fields directly from the organizer as described here or in the editor (menu File >> File Info...)

Editing IPTC from the editor or any external tool does not 'sync' the changes in the catalog. As previously mentioned, you can use 'update thumbnails' to sync some IPTC fields back into the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines