• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 15 Import

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a similar post but I never got a good answer.  My father-in-law has Elements 15.  He just bought a Kodak Slide and Scan for his old slides.  The Slide and Scan saves images to an SD card and you can import the files from the SD card.  The Slide and Scan names there files IMAGxxxx.jpg and there is no way to have it save as anything else.  The images import into Elements just fine until the SD card is full.  When you wipe it out or use a new one the Slide and Scan starts naming the files IMAG0001.jpg and on up from there.  Once you try to import those new files then Elements gives you a duplicate file message and the photo does not import.  I was under the impression that Elements did not use just the file name but date, time and file size as well.  This does not seem to be the case sine the photo imports just fine if I rename the file.  Can someone explain what is going on?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

I have seen a similar post but I never got a good answer.  My father-in-law has Elements 15.  He just bought a Kodak Slide and Scan for his old slides.  The Slide and Scan saves images to an SD card and you can import the files from the SD card.  The Slide and Scan names there files IMAGxxxx.jpg and there is no way to have it save as anything else.  The images import into Elements just fine until the SD card is full.  When you wipe it out or use a new one the Slide and Scan starts naming the f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022
Thanks.  I tried importing from "camera or card reader" and it worked just fine.  I don't know why it fails if I import from "files or folders".  

At least it is working,  thanks for the help.

Louie

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't import the files to the Organizer. 

Copy them to a folder on the hard drive instead, and do a batch process in Photoshop Elements to change their names.  Then import into the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but my question is "how does Elements determine duplicate?".  I can change the names and import but I didn't think that should be necessary. 

Louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen a similar post but I never got a good answer.  My father-in-law has Elements 15.  He just bought a Kodak Slide and Scan for his old slides.  The Slide and Scan saves images to an SD card and you can import the files from the SD card.  The Slide and Scan names there files IMAGxxxx.jpg and there is no way to have it save as anything else.  The images import into Elements just fine until the SD card is full.  When you wipe it out or use a new one the Slide and Scan starts naming the files IMAG0001.jpg and on up from there.  Once you try to import those new files then Elements gives you a duplicate file message and the photo does not import.  I was under the impression that Elements did not use just the file name but date, time and file size as well.  This does not seem to be the case sine the photo imports just fine if I rename the file.  Can someone explain what is going on?

By @Louis23444835pej8

@Louis23444835pej8 

You are right, files with the same name should not be filtered as duplicates unless they have the same date_taken and same file size. I have many examples of my Canon files with duplicate file names but different dates/sizes. They are not considered as duplicate and they import without warning messages.

On the other hand, there is no hint that Adobe has changed anything with the duplicate filter criteria.

So, I'll have to make new tests to see if anything has been changed recently in the criteria.

Just a random suggestion: there are two ways to import from an SD card: from 'camera or card reader', the normal way, or 'from files and folders', the alternative ways where the SD card is considered like an external drive. Would you get the same behavior in both cases?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.   I have only done it from files and folders.  I will need to check but I don't remember seeing the Kodak listed as a camera.  I will try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks.  I tried importing from "camera or card reader" and it worked just fine.  I don't know why it fails if I import from "files or folders".  

At least it is working,  thanks for the help.

Louie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines