• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2021 Organizer Creating Album Sub Category

Participant ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the user manual, I should be able to click on the GREEN PLUS sign next to an album name, to create a sub-category or sub-album.  However, the green plus window does not open.  Everything becomes grayed out.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , How to , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Are you trying to create a sub-category of an existing category? I don't know any way to do that. That works for keywords hierarchies. Is it really necessary to have several hierarchy levels in albums? You can always use keywords instead of albums, you'll only lose the custom sort order and you'll gain the huge advantage of being able to 'write metadata to files' for safety and ease of sharing. Remember albums are only stored in the catalog, they can't be written to files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You highlight an existing category in the left panel, then you click on the  Green PLUS sign and the dialog opens in the top of the panel on the right, it's not a dropdown window. Don't you see the input fields on top and the ok and cancel buttons on the bottom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel, Yes, I see when I highlight an album name and click on the green plus sign, a panel opens on the right. From top down, New Album; Album Name (window to type words); Category: Name (Top Level) with arrow that gives same "Name (Top Level). I tried that, but it literally makes a NEW album, not a sub album. I watched a video for Photoshop Elements 2018 and I see HOW it should work.  But, it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to create a sub-category of an existing category? I don't know any way to do that. That works for keywords hierarchies. Is it really necessary to have several hierarchy levels in albums? You can always use keywords instead of albums, you'll only lose the custom sort order and you'll gain the huge advantage of being able to 'write metadata to files' for safety and ease of sharing. Remember albums are only stored in the catalog, they can't be written to files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice. I have been watching a adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 class on linkedin. apparently that feature was removedvwith  newer versions. I wish that adobe would provide updated guidelines on their online manuals because I did search that term on helpx.adobe.com

And actually, my 2000+ photos are all organized and tagged Because I used adobe bridge initially when I digitized all the photographs. And at that time, I assigned keywords to each photograph And I created folders using  different family surnames and a decade span

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all those keywords are intact in adobe Photoshop elements, So I realize that creating albums is superfluous And not utilitarian.

My goal now is to go through all the photographs, lightly crop and enhance as needed, and then create slideshows of 5 stars to share with family members. I imagine that will keep me busy for a couple of months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another question.  Is there a way to rearrange the order of photo images in Organizer media view? When I click and try to move a photo, I get a red circle.

I created a slide show and do not like Adobe's choices. So, instead I've decided to arrange photos in chronological order and download to a USB that can be displayed in a slide show on a digital frame. (As I digitized photos, the sequence was out of order from time to time).  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines