• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements 2023 .mov can’t import

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen these posts but no real solution anywhere that works.

New desktop with Win 11, new install of Elements and Premier Elements.  iPhone 14 pro max.  Taking videos and cinematic videos.  Import fails saying I don't have correct codec, not extremely helpful because it doesn't say what I need.  I followed Adobe's note on installing the .99 cents Microsoft HECV codec and free HEIF plugin.  Both installed and verified.  Same error.  Tried Adobe support three times, as I like pain.  After verifying the steps multiple times they told to do what they do, run everything through handbrake, which works as a mp4 but not a real solution.  I read somewhere that I need Mp64 not Mp65, which I believe relates to H.264 and H.265.  I also tried a-lite codecs that didn't help.

Any more ideas or which codec brand actually works and is supported on Win 11

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem  here.

Virtually all the MOV shot by my iPhone 12 are not imported with an error message. The exceptions are 3 files:

- two which were probably shot in "slow motion" (something like 239fps)

- one which seems normal, but has 29.9fps instead of 29.98 for all other (which do not import).

Of course, all those MOV can be opened without any problem in Windows 11 (native app or VLC), so they are definitvely not broken.

By the way, some HEIC files also make such errors when importing. They can be viewed without any problem in Windows 11.

I have also had huge problems importing the files (I mean, the Organizer just copying them from my iPhone to the hard disk, before really importing), with systematic crashes of the Organizer software (not always on the same file). This could be solved only by importing only a few 100 picture at a time. This looks like a big bug.

I can add the fact that from the beginnig, the Organizer of PSE 2023 hat a bug preventing indexing correctly HEIC files with Windows 11. Fortunately, Adobe corrected that in an update last spring.

Anyways, it seems to me that PSE 2023 is completely broken and unable to process correctly HEIC and HEVC files - since the beginning.

This is incredible and so unsatisfactory!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the answers I received from support I don't think Adobe cares.  The end result was them telling me to run .mov files through Handbrake, which I did to fix their problem.  Probably my last release/upgrade.  Too much to not even be able to import certain files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you are right, I have given up hope. I now have two solutions:

1. let my iPhone convert everything automatically to jpg/h.264 when exporting
  2. use another catalog software

Googling alternatives software products and the way they work with HEIC/HEVC, I came to the (sad) conclusion that there are restrictions with them too. For example, ACDSee is not able to write the keywords into the HEIC files, so they remain in the software's internal data bank - forget portability.

It seems to me that these new file format are still not mature (or precisely: third party software are still not able to handle them in a satisfactory way). So I will probably have to stick to strategy 1. and look for an alternative to PSE in a few years.

Patrick

PS: if somebody knows an alternative catalog software which really works well with HEIC/HEVMC, please let me know it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like you are saving in "most compatible" mode,  That means you cant use Cinematic which i like.  Just another mess.  Handbrake does work but what a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One last update...

I  have tried configuring my iPhone to convert HEIC/H.265 to JPG/H.264 on the fly when used as an USB drive. It doesn't work well, when I open several time the same file on Windows 11, every time it displays another picture! And a few JPG are >100MB... I'm afraid there are some very big bugs around in Windows 11 or on the iOS side (in this case PSE is not involved).

At the end I have converted all my HEIC/H.265 to JPG/H.264 using a freeware on the Windows side and imported them into PSE 2023. It works well. After that, I have instructed my iPhone to never again shoot a HEIC/H.265 in the future.

Now PSE 2023 works. But it is slow, very very slow, especially when displaying pictures on the world map (on a modern Thinkpad Notebook).

Certainly my last PSE update, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines