• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements jumps back to top of folder

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am in the editor and I complete editing a photo, when I then return to the organizer to continue the process, Elements returns to the top of the folder instead of returning to the current position in the folder where I could continue with the next photo ... so I have to then scroll down to find the spot that I was at.  This wastes time and is frustrating.  Is there some setting I should make to stop the Organizer from jumping back to the top of the list of photos?   When the folder contains several hundred photos or more, this is an irritant.  Every version of Photoshop Elements I have owned does this, and I keep thinking Adobe is going to fix the problem.  If it matters, I am using Adobe Elements 15.0 on Windows 10 (most current MS update).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Big-Al-Photoman  wrote

When I am in the editor and I complete editing a photo, when I then return to the organizer to continue the process, Elements returns to the top of the folder instead of returning to the current position in the folder where I could continue with the next photo ... so I have to then scroll down to find the spot that I was at.  This wastes time and is frustrating.  Is there some setting I should make to stop the Organizer from jumping back to the top of the list of photos?  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big-Al-Photoman  wrote

When I am in the editor and I complete editing a photo, when I then return to the organizer to continue the process, Elements returns to the top of the folder instead of returning to the current position in the folder where I could continue with the next photo ... so I have to then scroll down to find the spot that I was at.  This wastes time and is frustrating.  Is there some setting I should make to stop the Organizer from jumping back to the top of the list of photos?   When the folder contains several hundred photos or more, this is an irritant.  Every version of Photoshop Elements I have owned does this, and I keep thinking Adobe is going to fix the problem.  If it matters, I am using Adobe Elements 15.0 on Windows 10 (most current MS update).

That's not the first time I do see this complaint. But I can't reproduce your issue. I am also on PSE15 and Windows 10. When I select a photo in the organizer in folder view, edit and save, then close the file to come back to the thumbnail in the organizer, the focus returns to that image.

If you 'save as' and then use 'Open' from the editor, then you are no longer in the organizer, you are in the Windows explorer. The 'Open' command moves you to the last edited Explorer folder, necessarily to its first item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally go to the Editor by selecting the image in Organizer and then clicking CTRL+I to get to the editor.  However, sometimes I have gone directly to the editor and selected "Open in Camera Raw" editor, even if it a JPG file because the Raw editor does a better job in adjusting the white balance and the exposure levels.  In all honesty, I don't remember when the failure occurred because I was in process of reducing a folder of 2800 images down to around 600 edited images, and part way through things started to get real blurry in my mind ..!!!!  I understand what you are saying, so I'm tempted to accept that and just try it on my next project and pay attention to which process produces the result and any differences.  Thank you for taking the time to respond and explain.  I appreciate it.@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.

However, sometimes I have gone directly to the editor and selected "Open in Camera Raw" editor, even if it a JPG file because the Raw editor does a better job in adjusting the white balance and the exposure levels.

Ok, I understand better. I also edit most jpegs in ACR via the 'Open in ACR' command for the same reasons (and the ability to batch edit very efficiently). The single new feature I would like most to find in the next version of Elements would be the ability to open jpegs in ACR directly from the organizer; a bit like the 'OpenInAcr' add-on developped by John R Ellis for older Elements versions...

Is it too difficult to implement... or just a marketing choice to favour upgrading to Lightroom ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem, can't remember when it started. I think, it was when I upgraded to Windows 10. I click on a jpeg to delete it. It enlarges the photo, then when I click the arrow to go back, it jumps to the latest photos I added to the computer. It's very annoying. Is there anything I can do to stop it doing this.

Pat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem, can't remember when it started. I think, it was when I upgraded to Windows 10. I click on a jpeg to delete it. It enlarges the photo, then when I click the arrow to go back, it jumps to the latest photos I added to the computer. It's very annoying. Is there anything I can do to stop it doing this.

Pat.

By @Bioform

You don't say if you are opening files from the 'Open in ACR' command to edit in Adobe Camera Raw. So it's not the same issue as @Big-Al-Photoman .

Could you give more details?

How are you using the organizer? displaying files by subfolders, by albums, by selections?

Do you delete the files in the editor before returning to the organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem.

I use the organizer and display the files in subfolders. When opening one photo to enlarge it and then  to edit it and go back to the folder view sometimes (every second time, not exactly reproducable) the first folder is shown.

This is really annoying.

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction: It does not show the first folder it shows all photos and looses the selection of the current folder which is really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

correction: It does not show the first folder it shows all photos and looses the selection of the current folder which is really annoying.

By @Dirk28905606mxtj

Hi @Dirk28905606mxtj ,

If you can find the various discussions about similar organizer issues, you'll probably discover two things:

- most answers state that the problem is not easily reproduced. The difficulty to reproduce does not look like some random or mysterious factor, but the lack of precise workflow description. And there are different issues, including in our present discussion.

- Many (most ?) intensive users of the organizer never meet the issue. They can have long sessions of browsing in the organizer and edit many individual files without losing their former selections and file selection focus.

So, I'll suggest that even though there are different workflows to trigger the issue, they may have a common denominator.

The common factor seems to be that the users are totally forgetting that they are performing a combined task from two (or more...) apps.

- first step: using organizing software for pre-selection (organizer via albums, tags or folders), full view (to cull and mark for edit), Camera raw for batch management and edition,

- second step to edit and save individual files.

The second task is dependent, it's a 'child' of the first one. The first one is a 'selection' based on your own criteria, for instance folders, albums, tags... It's defined by your 'query' to the catalog. You are expecting to get back to the same situation after performing the 'edits AND save' steps you are doing. That's forgetting that your files 'edits AND saves' may change the parameters of the selection you are displaying. So, switching back to the organizer may not show the same selection as before the edits in all cases.

Organizer users relying on folder organization are more prone to edit changes so that the previous selection of files (the 'query'conditions) is no longer valid; that results in a changed layout and loss of focus on the modified files. The organizer is built to work on keywords, albums and a virtual organization which are meant to replace the 'folders/subfolders' organization schema. Much less risks to be unable to come back to the previous 'selection' after some kinds of edits and losing the focus on the previously selected file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines