Elements Organizer 12 - how to reconnect entire photo library

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to move my entire Windows Pictures folder with thousands of photos underneath my OneDrive folder to enable backup/sync to OneDrive.  Now all of my photos in Elements Organizer are disconnected and I'm trying to find a way to reconnect enmasse without having to go through one folder at a time.  Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Kevin

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My first thought is that syncing to a Cloud app like OneDrive does not protect you as well as a true backup and restore from the organizer. You can recover your photo files but what about your catalog? Even if you have created a copy of your catalog folder, that will only work if the restore is on the original computer. You would be in the same situation you are now with all photo files disconnected.

Your situation is the result of moving files from the Explorer instead of moving them from the organizer directly. Two good solutions for that move:

- using the folders tree panel in the organizer and dragging and dropping folders (including their subfolders) from one location to another one; can be to another drive or master folder. If you have a single master folder under Pictures, you can move all in one step... that takes some time, don't interrupt.

- If you have a recent organizer backup, you can restore to 'custom location' under your OneDrive synced folder. Safer, because it's a copy, not a move. You have to delete the originals when you have checked everything works ok. The process also stores the restored catalog folder under OneDrive, I would recommend moving it back to the default (hidden location) either from the catalog manager or the Explorer.

So, to restore "en masse", the most obvious solution is to use the Explorer to move back your photo folders to the original location if that is possible. Everything gets reconnected and then you use one of the above moving methods. Otherwise, you'll have to reconnect manually, which is a real pain for a big library. Or you'll have to create a new catalog and import again from the files in OneDrive. You may recover your keywords and captions if you had written metadata to files, but not albums, stacks, version sets, face recognition.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines