• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements Organizer 2020 - catalog lost access to my files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with the Elements Organizer 2020 catalog. I store my files on the server. The internet provider has changed the server address. Files cataloged by Element organizer are now invisible. How to reconnect catalog entries to files on the server?
I can't move files to a new address (access path) because they are already there. I can't move them to the old address, because it no longer exists.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

My problem was to reconnect many files at once.
There was no problem with reconnecting each file separately, but reconnecting over 109,000 files would take a very long time.
But with your help, I found a solution that allows me to simultaneously reconnect files contained in one folder:

1. I chose the folder
2. I selected all offline files in it
3. I clicked 'Edit the IPTC information'
4. The Reconnect window has appeared.
5. I browsed for a new folder location. Then I only selected the folder in the ne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Photoshop Elements forum from Get Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes you can make the Reconnect functionality to connect to those files. Please follow the below steps for the same.

1. Double click on an image that has moved to new server address.

2. Organizer starts searching for the file in your system.

3. Click on Browse

4. Browse to the new location of the file.

5. Click on Reconnect

Is this a Windows or a Mac machine? To be able to browse to the new location, the server address should be mapped as a Network drive in your system. 

Let me know if this helps or in case of any other concerns.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The server address is mapped as a Network drive in my system. But your solution is not applicable in my case. I can reconnect each file separately without any problem. However, there are 109 256 files. Reconnecting each one manually, I'd probably have to spend about a year on it. MSz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,
The server address is mapped as a Network drive in my system.
But your solution is not applicable in my case. I can reconnect each file separately without any problem. However, there are 109 256 files. Reconnecting each one manually, I'd probably have to spend about a year on it.
MacSzym

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please try File->Reconnect->All Missing files

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again
I tried. The organizer cannot find the files even though I can see them. I have no way to tell him where have to look.

MacSzym

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still waiting for advice.

MacSzym

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these offline files or missing files? A missing file has a yellow question mark at its upper left corner, while an offline file has a red symbol at its upper left corner.

You can try below steps:

1. Select an image which is offline/missing.

2. In Info panel, click on 'Location' or try to edit the IPTC information of the image.

loc.jpg

iptc.jpg

3. In both cases Reconnect box appears asking for new location of the image.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am still waiting for advice.

MacSzym"

I don't have good news for you. I have been following the evolution of the organizer and the organizers catalogs since the beginning. They never have been meant for networks. There are ways to fool the organizer so that it sees networks as 'normal' drives and folders. Many advanced users regularly manage to use NASs to store their images library. Not only Adobe has never claimed support for NASs for Elements but a few years ago, Chris Cox explicitly stated that they would not help at all with networks issues in Elements.

Your issue is not a typical network one, it's exactly the same as image files beeing moved outside of the organizer. If you don't move your files within the organizer, all files are disconnected. Reconnecting is rarely an easy solution, and good luck with network paths. So the usual advice holds: in such a case, restore from an organizer backup if you have one. I think that using a NAS would be stupid in my own case, but I really think that a restore from an organizer backup would work the same if the backup folder was stored on NAS or any internal or external conventional drive.

I also think that if you are smart enough to manage a network, you might have the knowledge to edit the sqlite database to recognize the new server.

Don't misunderstand me, choosing to use a NAS as the storage location is not stupid for you if you know how to handle it, but the real issue here is that using a NAS does not replace a backup, and that only a backup from the organizer (to a NAS or a conventional internal or external drive) does protect you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.
Now I know that I have two options: either I will import the files again and tag them again, or I will practice editing SQLite
MacSzym

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now I know that I have two options: either I will import the files again and tag them again, or I will practice editing SQLite
MacSzym"
The reconnect feature should be able to reconnect whole folders as well as individual files.
Probably still painful, but worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was to reconnect many files at once.
There was no problem with reconnecting each file separately, but reconnecting over 109,000 files would take a very long time.
But with your help, I found a solution that allows me to simultaneously reconnect files contained in one folder:

1. I chose the folder
2. I selected all offline files in it
3. I clicked 'Edit the IPTC information'
4. The Reconnect window has appeared.
5. I browsed for a new folder location. Then I only selected the folder in the new location and started reconnecting offline files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for shareing the solutioin, this worked for me. New NAS, and I gave the NAS a new name. pwole that don't have a NAS just don't undererstand how great they are if you have lots of data to store and manage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines