• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements Organizer gets stuck Generating Thumbnails and Analyzing Faces in Videos

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I'm hoping the community can help.

I'm using the version below on Windows 11 and every time I open Elements Organizer it gets stuck Generating thumbnails (394 of 2082) and Analyzing Faces in Videos (516 of 5225).  If I close, reboot, and reopen the app then it goes back to 1 and gets stuck at different figures.

Really frustrating - I've almost given up on this app given this and previous issues.

I have read that these statuses are unreliable, so do I just leave my laptop running (for a few weeks?!) or is there an issue?

Note that the DB in on a local SSD, but the impacts are on the network.

Thanks all!

Tim

Elements Organizer 19.0.0.0
Core Version: 19.0 (20210807.m.158016)
Language Version: 19.0 (20210807.m.158016)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Size: 261.8MB
Catalog Cache Size: 3.3GB

System:
Operating System Name: Windows 10
Operating System Version: 10.0
System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:12 Stepping:1 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2
Built-in Memory: 7.7GB
Free Memory: 467MB

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Organizer , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, did you ever resolve this? I'm experencing the same problem. I think the problem is coming from some corrupt Heic files.  After I delete some, the generating number of thumbnails change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I've given up and started using Windows Photos! 

How did you know which HEIC files to delete?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried looking at file size and seeing if the size didn't make sense. I also saved some of them as jpg's to see if that made a differnce. I'm making a new catalog (keeping the oldbecause of all the tags) and importing batches to see if it gets stuck and then looking within the batch for a file that might have caused it, but with 90,000+ photos it will take some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering whether the problem has something to do with the fact that Elements 2021 (version 19) did not properly address orientation information of .heic files.  So, IIRC, thumbnails would not retain their proper orientation automatically, except when zoomed to full screen.  Again IIRC, a manual refresh of the thumbnail worked.  This problem/bug was fixed in Elements 2022. 

Total speculation on my part, but perhaps the orientation of the files also affected the face recognition capability. 

Face recognition on a large catalog requires a lot of time to perform (several days if not weeks, depending on computer specs).  So, leaving your computer on overnight is probably the best strategy.  And if your images are on a NAS drive, performance is also going to be degraded and FR will take longer to perform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Greg_S. , @fader5.

I've used Elements since the early versions and it's costing me alot to go backwards: my library keeps needing to be rebuilt, and theyve dropped vital features like vector support. I still run v9 in parallel with 2021 to allow me to convert EPS. 

when I was on v2019 I completed FR after 4 weeks of my PC processing, and would now need to upgrade to 2022 and start again, with no guarantee that it would work.  This after recently upgrading to 2020, then 2021.

I think, unfortunately after many years of loyal use, I'm going to need to bail on Elements!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying to isolate the problem by uploading (a year of photos at a time) into a new catalog, I determind that the cause was photos from a shared google photo album that I download. The pictures or movies that were the causing Elements not to update was iPhone video's that were shot in slow motion and had a frame rate above 240 frames / second. I deleted all of those and my catalog is back to normal. I used premier elements to convert the slow motion .mov  files to mp4's and so far it's working because they have a 29.97frames / second rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@fader5, thanks for providing that information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WWWestie, when you purchase a new version of Elements, your existing catalog should be automatically converted to the latest version.  (A backup copy is made so the existing catalog can still be used with the older version.)  All face recognition information and other tag data is retained upon conversion.  If you did not allow the conversion to take place, you can always convert an old catalog via the File>Manage Catalogs dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines