Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements Organizer Slow Network Drive

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Am testing the latest Elements 2024 and wanted to start using the Organizer to make library more manageable (I have Elements 13 but can't get it to load on new PC due to a license loop at start-up, thought maybe a good time to upgrade).

So far I just tested importing two folders, maybe 200ish files each mostly photos, some videos.

One of these lives on my NAS as a mapped network drive - browsing this folder in the Organizer is extremely slow and painful, eg. huge delay on scrolling, not useable really and that's with just one folder. I assumed thumbnails would be generated and stored locally, is there something I'm missing?

I tested a second folder saved locally and it is definitely much faster. However I see other users complaining about slow performance also - adding another SSD to save a copy of all the photos locally could be an option but would want to be sure it would definitely work before doing that?!

(Just to add - pc I'm using is a 12th gen intel laptop with 16gb ram, fast 5ghz network connection, decent synology nas)

Thoughts appreciated, thanks!

TOPICS
Organizer , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have probably seen in other threads, Adobe does not recommend using a NAS to store Organizer media files for the very reason you describe - poor performance.  IMO and experience, it is not necessary to store your media on an SSD.  Even an adequate external hard drive should be sufficient to cure any performance issues, particularly with your computer specs.

If you already have an Organizer catalog that you have employed with Elements 13, you may want to convert that to an Elements 2024 catalog rather than import the images to a new catalog.  It would be best to use an Organizer backup for this purpose.  See, this HelpX article.  But if you don't have a catalog backup to use, we may be able to help you with other methods, if you give us some details about your media folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! Good to confirm that using the NAS folders not the way to go.

Will be building a new catalog as never used Organizer with Elements 13. Thinking will test out with 100GB or so, if that works okay then happy to upgrade to 2024 and add an SSD. Approach will be (adding here as helpful to write down as much as anything) to set up some folders as synced between NAS and laptop so both versions remain 'live', the local folders go in to the catalog as watched, the NAS folders would be what phones sync to, and where any backups are taken from.  

Background... Have about 450GB at the moment. Photos from camera get manually saved into dated and labelled folders, which works well enough to browse with Windows photos. Photos from phones though just go into a folder per phone. As the proportion of photos from phones has increased over time (plus increase in junk chat photos) it's got harder to find anything, hence finally getting round to looking for a better approach! Just being able to find all photos from one holiday will be a big win!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since you are building a catalog from scratch, it really doesn't matter how your files are organized.  But your approach seems to be very similar to mine.  I have a Pictures parent folder on my P Drive and a Videos parent folder on my V drive.  The Pictures folder has a hieararchy of Date Taken sub-folders for my main camera.  I also have separate sub-folders for each phone that also have separate Date Taken sub-folders. 

With 450 GB of newly imported files, there will be a lot of media analysis that is taking place in the background.  You may find that this media analysis interferes with the operation of both the Organizer and the Editor.  To confirm whether that is the cause of a problem for you, simply turn off all Media Analysis in the Organizer's Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis dialog.  If you want the media analysis and face recognition to take place, I suggest you leave your computer on overnight.  With a catalog of the size you indicate, it may take several days for the analysis to be completed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines