Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Elements22 Restore Help

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Bought a new computer with a hard drive and a SSD drive. Bought new version of PSE22 and tried to restore all my 55K+ photos from an external drive and it seems to have uploaded into the One Drive. Now it's saying my One Drive is full and there's not enough space for all the pictures. One problem I see is its trying to add JSON and XMP files when I think I only want the JPEGs right? How do I put the restore onto my hard drive/SSD drive instead of one drive now?

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

OK.  Here is what I would do:  Start a new restore of your backup on the new machine.  During the restore process, you are asked where you want to store the files.  Apparently, the default choice was your OneDrive folder and you probably didn't notice it.  Change the location of the restore to your desired location.

I am guessing that your SSD drive has been set up as your system drive (C-drive).  Your main hard drive will have a different drive letter.  You should choose that larger drive as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use an Elements backup to restore to the new computer?  If not, how did you restore (copy?) the files to the new computer?

How large is your SSD drive?

How large is your other hard drive?

How much storage do your photos take up?  (The .json and xmp files take up very little room.)

How large is your OneDrive storage quota?  The OneDrive folder on your computer is a local storage space that is used to synch files with your Cloud storage. Is the message you are receiving from OneDrive?

How much free space do you have on your new computer's drives?

Until we get answers to these questions, we can't provide a meaninful strategy to move forward.  If you want to keep all of your face recognition and tag information from a prior version catalog, you will have to use an Elements backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, used elements backup to restore

Bare with me, I am not very knowledgable - I puchased new computer in December with 512 GB of SSD, 12 GB of RAM

My backup.tly is 26,906 KB with the backup.buc @ 420,085 KB I believe these are the what the backup used to restore

OneDrive is 5 GB of storage - yes message from One drive telling me I don't have any storage left. But I don't want it to store on OneDrive, just on my hard drive on my computer - How do I switch over? Do I need to delete the restore? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Here is what I would do:  Start a new restore of your backup on the new machine.  During the restore process, you are asked where you want to store the files.  Apparently, the default choice was your OneDrive folder and you probably didn't notice it.  Change the location of the restore to your desired location.

I am guessing that your SSD drive has been set up as your system drive (C-drive).  Your main hard drive will have a different drive letter.  You should choose that larger drive as the new location.  I am also guessing that the original photos were stored in your My Photos folder.  If that is the case, you can choose the option to Restore Original Folder Structure.

Once the new restore has been completed, you can delete the files that have been copied to your OneDrive folder.

For a complete explanation of the restore process see this article

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much Greg! This was a huge help. Though it took pretty much all day to delete from one drive and restore to my c-drive, I know have a better understanding of where the files go on this new computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines