• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message: Serial number is expired or an illegal distributed version

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop Elements 2018 asked for an update, but the update failed and I received an error message: "Your serial number is expired - or has been illegally distributed".

My version was bought by myself at an authorized dealer in 2017, so it is definitely NOT illegally distributed. It has worked well on the same computer since the purchase.

I wonder if a serial number can expire, as I have bought the right to use the software as long as I like. It has not been bought as a software with a yearly payment.

Can anyone help to clear up the mystery?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who or what site was the authorized dealer? 

Go here, scroll down to the bottom click on the START NOW (it's blue text) below the chat icon:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this page several times, but the "Start now" does not lead to any 'real help from real people' or any place for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you purchase an educational version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is a normal verion for private use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who or what site was the authorized dealer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought at Dustin Denmark, part of the Dustin Group https://www.dustingroup.com/en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do appear to be an authorized reseller:

https://adobedealreg.secure.force.com/PartnerSearch?lang=en

You might try contacting them to see if they have a solution:

kundeservice@dustin.dk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow!  That's a pretty awesome link, thanks for posting it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether this article is relevant, but it may be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received a useful explanation of the reason to the problem from Adobe Systems Incorporated <**scam email address**>:

"We would like to inform you that Photoshop Elements 2018 is no longer available and supported with Windows 10 64 Bit and Secondly Photoshop Elements 2018 servers have been shut down".

So this is why the update leads to an error message. I can update to the 2022 version or I can just continue with my 2018 version and cancel the update, which is Photoshop Camera Raw 10.3.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The e-mail address is: **scam email address** [add] outlook.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ole22756787cha4, it's not clear from your message whether you understand that the message you apparently received from a scam email address is totally bogus.  (I don't know whether it was you or a moderator who perhaps modified your post to remove the scam address.)

In any event, Adobe has not shut down any servers that are used to authenticate legitimate serial numbers.  However, because of some security issues with some older browsers, it may be necessary to install the Creative Cloud desktop application on your computer to allow the licensing to be completed.  The Creative Cloud application is free to download and you don't need to purchase anything in order for older licensed versions of Elements to be installed and activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The expression **scam email address** is something, that this community forum automatically replaces the entire or the first part of the e-mail addres with, when I try to write the e-mail addres of the Adobe support. I received the above message (referred in italics) from an official Adobe help desk. The explanaltion given makes sense to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the email from an outlook.com email address?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it is a bogus email. The information in the email is a lie. The senders are fake. The email address is a fake, and they want you to give them your credit card number, or access to your computer. If you do this, worse troubles will be starting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines