• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Explanation of PSE2020's Save As screen color profile?

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE2020, Windows 10.

When I Save As (usually in jpg) a processed image, I note the following in the PSE Save As screen: The Color box is checked and it has ICC Profile as sRGB, and just below that is IEC 61966-2.1.  As I lack a proper understanding, I'd appreciate knowing what all this means.  Also, although I know that my calibrated monitor (Cell U2312HM) can't show all the RGB colors, I still would like to use RGB...but I don't know its present relationship to what appears to be defaulted in the Save As screen. Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

"Color Space Set this to Adobe RGB. The camera will automatically revert to sRGB with JPG capture."

What does it mean? I suppose that describes the various settings of your particular camera. Some can let you choose between both color spaces for jpegs, others only sRGB.

If you shoot raw, the raw data has no color profile. The values of each photosite only display the intensity of light, not RGB values. You can choose if you want the raw conversion to produce either of those color spaces. In mos

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sRGB is the standard for most computer monitors and websites. Some People use Adobe RGB if they print their own images as it has a slightly larger color gamut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A photo file can have an embedded color profile.  I believe that is what the Adobe Save As dialog is showing.  The following dialogs appear in the Editor and Organizer Edit>Color Settings menus.  They explain a little about what choices are available in Elements.

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.16_11h35m48s_000_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another variable, i.e. the printer.

Edit>color settings>Optimize for computer screens is the preferred option for PSE settings.

For the printer, Color Handling: Printer manages colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let's see if I got it. I have been using PSE set Optimize color for computer screen...which appers to be the proper setting for computer viewing.  And, if I intend to print the image I should  use Optimize for printing.  However, let me then ask: what if I have an image that was processed under Optimize for computer screen, but later decide that I want to print it?  Do I have to re-process, or what? Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is not to have PSE & the printer both manage colors.

My setup is to have PSE optimize for computer screens.

Next, in Editor, open a picture file, go to File>print.

You should see "More Options". Click on this, go to Color Management tab. Under Color Handling, select "Printer Manages Colors." ok it.

I leave these settings in place permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite the answer I was looking for, but a helpful response, nonetheless.  Let me make my question clearer: I've just processed an image (Optimize for comuter) and saved it as a jpg. Later on, I've decided I want to print the jpg.  Should I put the jpg back into PSE, go to File>Print (Printer manages color)? Naively, I would imagine that this would have worked better if the image was saved as a psd rather than a jpg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warning,

Read carefully what is explained in the color dialog shown by Greg.

The choice between optimize for print or display is never taken into account if the file already has an embedded profile.

"The other settings will utilize embedded profiles or convert..."

In most situations, particularly out-of-camera jpegs, the sRGB profile is embedded and used ignoring your optimize choice. 

However, look at the following situations:

1 - you have set your DSLR to output aRGB jpegs.

The aRGB profile will be recognized and used internally by Elements. If you have a good calibrated display, this will result in richer tones and you will get better results in printing.

2 - You are shooting raw: your raw files never have color spaces. So the ACR module reads the optimize option in the editor and converts to your choice. You can reprocess the same raw file with both choices and test the results: aRGB will provide the same advantage.

3 - You are opening a file processed by Photoshop or Lightroom in Prophoto space, which is still wider than aRGB. Since the profile is embedded, all color edits are performed in the wider space internally. With other unsupported spaces, there will be a conversion to either sRGB or aRGB.

4 - You have files coded by numbers in aRGB, Prophoto but the 'no color management' is chosen or the files are not tagged with the correct profile. You are pretty sure to get distorted color results.

If you have a full sRGB workflow, you'll have no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of correct answers. But, I now see the botton line: sRGB, which is what I have been using and I now undestand its place.  Thanks you all for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, there is a recommendation from CameraErgonomics blog (very often referenced by users of my FZ1000...http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2014/08/setting-up-fz1000-part-3-setup-and-rec.html😞 "Color Space Set this to Adobe RGB. The camera will automatically revert to sRGB with JPG capture."  So, I ask: Does setting to aRGB make any difference when shooting in RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Color Space Set this to Adobe RGB. The camera will automatically revert to sRGB with JPG capture."

What does it mean? I suppose that describes the various settings of your particular camera. Some can let you choose between both color spaces for jpegs, others only sRGB.

If you shoot raw, the raw data has no color profile. The values of each photosite only display the intensity of light, not RGB values. You can choose if you want the raw conversion to produce either of those color spaces. In most converting softwares including Lightroom and The full Photoshop ACR, there is a menu setting; in Elements the menu is not in the ACR dialog, your choice is read from your optimization choice in the editor. If you shoot raw plus jpeg, your camera setting applies to the jpeg version. 

An extreme simplification:

- for peace of mind and maximum compatibility, follow a full sRGB workflow

- for a wider color space especially for printing, shoot raw (or choose aRGB if your camera allows it), set your optimization to aRGB (for prints) in the Eliments editor settings. In LR or Photoshop ACR, you can also opt for a still wider color space, Prophoto. The danger is that the wider the space is, the bigger are the color distorted if the color space is mistaken for the common sRGB.

Anyway, to get good color and compatibility, there is no other way than to use an hardware calibrator puck for your display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, for real this time.  Although the posts above were very helpful, the last one sort of put everything together for me. I now understand how to use aRGB and sRGB. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am a bit late, but I just found the two helpful links about color management in PSE:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/color-management-settings-best-print.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/print-faq-photoshop-elements.html

You may have a way to bookmark them, otherwise you can access them from the 'Resources' menu on the panel on the right of this forum. Submenu Troubleshooting, and then 'Color management for best prints'.

You can get those links together with other help docs by simply typing 'color management' in the text input line of the home screen.

Also, there is a dedicated Adobe user to user forum dedicated to color management, with the best experts around:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/color-management/bd-p/Color-Management?page=1&sort=latest_replies&fil...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines