Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files in watched folder being ignored

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This applies to Adobe Photoshop Elements Organizer 2020 (V18) running on Windows 10.

I tend to use the Watched Folder feature to add new pictures.  It works very well but I've noticed a bug/feature that I'd like help with.

I've found that if I add new pictures to a watched file and then start organizer, it alerts me and asks me to import said files.  If I choose to cancel this alert (so I can do it at a later date when I have more time) then I never get a second chance to import the pictures, no matter what I do.

I performed the following test just to be sure this was a consistent issue:

1. Added new picture file to a watched folder

2. Started Elements Organizer

3. I was alerted me to the new file via the Watched Folder D, clicked Cancel

4. Restarted Elements Organizer (several times) but no further notification recieved.  Tried a reboot too. 

My questions are:

1. Is this normal behaviour or a bug?

2. Can I force the watched folder feature to identify files that I've previously cancelled the first time I was notified?

3. I'm no wondering how many other files have been 'forgotton' because I cancelled an import, expecting to be able to perform said import at a later more convenient time.  Is there another way to find any such files?  For example, if I do the following File > Get Photos and Videos > From Files and Folders, and point this to the root of my watched folder - will this just import any NEW files not currently within Elements Organizer (or will it import everything again causing duplicates and mess!)?

Any help would be much appreciated.     

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

The Watch Folders feature is pretty simplistic in the way it works.

If you choose to cancel the notification to import a new image when you start the Organizer, that's it - it's a one-time, never-to-be-repeated offer 🙂

However, you should be able to Import > From Files and Folders... and point it to your watched folder and click Get Media without any problems. You will get a report at the end of the import process which will summarize how many media files were imported and how many files were s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Watch Folders feature is pretty simplistic in the way it works.

If you choose to cancel the notification to import a new image when you start the Organizer, that's it - it's a one-time, never-to-be-repeated offer 🙂

However, you should be able to Import > From Files and Folders... and point it to your watched folder and click Get Media without any problems. You will get a report at the end of the import process which will summarize how many media files were imported and how many files were skipped because they were already present in the catalog. That should allay any fears you have about duplicates 🙂

I guess it really comes down to whether you want to use the Watch Folders feature or not; some users don't bother with it. If you find it annoying to import images every time you open the Organizer, or don't like having to remember to do it manually later on, then maybe it's not for you either. It's your choice, and you'll need to decide whether it forms part of your workflow or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Phil,

You've answered all my questions.  

I performed an import and it picked up the file in question (plus a couple of others that had long since been forgotton).  It also ignored all the files currently residing in the catalog.  So, in summary - a complete sucess 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines