• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding corrupt files in photoshop elements

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to backup my Elements catalog, containing about 20 000 pictures. But it stops when it encounters a corrupt file. I delete the file and remove it from the catalog, and try another backup. Then it finds another corrupt file, and the backup stops once more. I have done this about 20 times, each time it takes about 25 minutes before it stops (about 90 % of the backup is done), and still there are corrupt files. Very annoying! Is there a way in Elements to find all the corrupt files (I have tried to rebuild all the thumbnails - but no report of corrupt files after rebuilding), or maybe in a program outside Elements? 

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean a missing file?  I don't recall seeing a corrupt file message when backing up.  Can you give us a screenshot of the message. 

If you are talking about missing files, you can use the Find >All missing files menu.  It is always a good idea to perform this operation before a backup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not talking about missing files. After I have deleted the corrupt file, I run the command reconnect, and delete the file from in the catalog. This is the message I get:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message does not suggest that the file is corrupt.  Why do you think that it is? 

Where are your photos stored and which drive are you backing up to?  If your photo files are stored in the location stated in the error message and you are trying to backup to the same drive, then the file may be locked and the backup cannot be written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally found a solution to this problem. I copied all the files in the library to an external hard drive. Each time it encountered a corrupt file there was a message on the screen, and the copying paused until I had written down the name of the file and pressed continue copying. After around 22 000 files were copied I had a list of 22 corrupt files, I searched for them in the original drive, deleted them, started Elements, and told the program to try to reconnect missing files. All the deleted files were reported as missing, so I deleted them from the catalog. I then ran the backup program, and it completed successfully. Then I imported the catalog to Elements on my new computer. Now everything looks fine, except I have lost about 35 files. I can live with that. Thanks for your interest anyway! But could it be an idea that the backup reported corrupt files, but continued backing up all the rest of the files, and make a report of files it could not back up? Øivind, Bergen, Norway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines