Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

From Element 9 to Elements 2021

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several questions regarding upgrades:

1.  Not being that interested in all the fluffy artsy gizmos, what am I really gaining in Elements 2021 that I don't have in my copy of Elements 9 (2015)? E.g. speed differences?  Finer gradients of light/contrast/highlight-shadow/saturation/color settings? Better, more intuitive user interface?

2. Any High Dynamic Range (HDR) capability or workarounds?

3. What really useful features are not available in Elements 2021 that I already have in Lightroom 5.7.1 (2018?)?

4. Does the RAW utility work with the newish Nikon Coolpix P950 camera?  Sometimes it takes an extra few months for software to catch up to new camera model's compatibility.

________________________________________________________________________________________ Fuji HS50EXR, Samsung S9+. Nikon Coolpix P950. Just transitioned from PSE and PE 9 to 2021
TOPICS
Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should probably just download the 30 day free trial to find out what's important to you.

Elements 9 was published about 10 years ago, not 2015, and Lr 5.7.1 was also first released several years earlier than you think.

Elements 2021 has now updated to ACR 13 and can handle your new camera's raw files.

As for newer features, there are many new and/or improved features, among them:

• better selection tools
  • faster performance (if you have the hardware to handle it)
  • haze and shake removal
  • content aware editing

Since you haven't given us any details about your own personal needs, I'm not going to guess more about what you might find useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, how time flees.  10 years old now, huh?  Thanks for telling me how much older I am 🙂

I've downloaded the trials, both PSE and PE.

I've found the Organizer to have a couple of glitches on my Windows 10 so far...

1. Upon opening the Organizer, the top pull-down menus became unresponsive and the cursor became invisible. That was "fixed" by eliminating the auto taskbar feature setting in Windows.

2. Attempting to send an email and set up my Gmail account, it wouldn't accept my email account setting until I lowered the security setting in Gmail to allow "less secure" connections.

3. Even though the Organizer implies the ability to import contacts lists, apparently it doesn't allow importing Google contact lists that don't have the proper matching file type - as far as I can tell.

4. And this might be just a learning thing, in File:Export as New File(s), it doesn't say where it's exporting to.  I was trying to use that as a workaround for the email utility not connecting, to export to one of my email programs, but who knows where my "New File" went.

So, I have to say, I expected greater improvement in the Organizer over the past 10 years. It's bringing back some of the same less than stellar memories of some of the very same issues I had with version 9.

________________________________________________________________________________________ Fuji HS50EXR, Samsung S9+. Nikon Coolpix P950. Just transitioned from PSE and PE 9 to 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Since you haven't given us any details about your own personal needs, I'm not going to guess more about what you might find useful."

Here's my list of what I would find most useful:

1. Easy edits: check

2. Ability to do refined contrast/brightness/hdr-type settings similar to Lightroom: check

3. Ability to organize photos/videos in a manner where they can be easily located: check

4. Ability to easily email photos to others:  FAIL

5. Ability to easily export to other files, email clients: FAIL

6. Glitch free, user friendly: FAIL

Items 4, 5, and 6 don't begin to match features in current smartphones. This is a reflection of the same fate impacting dedicated camera technology:  Directing R&D into the Smartphone/Personal device arena which stunts advances in cameras and hobbyist grade post-processing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...faster performance (if you have the hardware to handle it)."

I currently have an HP Envy 700-406 with AMD A10-7700K Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 3.4 GHz.  12GB RAM, 2TB Harddrive. Only 20% of the HD is used after 5 years.

I'm considering upgrading my RAM to 28GB and adding a 1 TB SSD.

I'm 74 years old, so I don't think I will fill up my HD capacity in this lifetime. I'm more "dabbler" than a hardcore hobbyist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Elements

September 2010

2 - HDR like: Photomerge exposure guided edits

3 - Hard to compare with LR. You have lost a number of features  from version 12 due to the upgrade to 64-bits. I'll post back when I find the list.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the links.  I've used the Photomerge already.  I've already learned a bit about what NOT to do.  Don't merge a much smaller image into a photo with a much larger image - or else the expanded smaller image will look fuzzy by comparison, unless I did too much dithering around the import's edges.  Can't achieve "perfection" with one try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still need instructions about how to set up your gmail account in Elements email, take a look at this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, thanks, that worked for me.

I'm guessing Google Security settings to "allow 3rd party apps" stays on?

I'm being roped into buying PSE, aren't I, after spending a dozen hours resolving quirks and enhancing security.

This reminds me of the O Gauge train hobby I had for a couple of years:  I spent $90 each for a few radio-controlled turnouts.  Half of them had to be repaired by me to make them work properly. I was told, "That's part of the hobby."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already had Gmail working, but without the 2-part authentication through Gmail.  I guess that would have made me "overexposed" (no pun intended) if I left it that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On little quirk I noticed on Google's end:  When they sent me the verification code to my phone, it was like this:

G-1234565.  So I tried typing in G-123456 into Gmail.  It would take only the first 6 characters, G-1234. Since I'm a trial and error kind of guy, I then left off the G- and typed in 123456.  Why they put G- in front of the code is beyond me.  It's like trying to figure out how to get out of an escape room.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I think I said in the other thread, Google makes you jump through a bunch of hoops to get the email working with 3rd party software.  Maybe that's part of the reason why it is now subject to anti-trust lawsuits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines