• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting error when trying to open scanned-in file with Photoshop Editor 2020

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on macOS Mojave V 10.14.6 and Photoshop Editor 2020 v18 (latest).  I have a huge project ahead of me scanning in all the old negatives from my families lives.  I'm using an Epson V600 Perfection scanner with none of the fancy options turned on, using the Epson Scan 2 software to scan them in. 

I'd like to scan the negatives at 4800 dpi, but can't even get a 3200 dpi tiff or jpeg to open in Photoshop Editor.  The 3200 dpi jpeg file size is less than 13MB, the tiff one is very large at 791MB   I have ample memory available (32GB, of which 15.5 GB is in use), but when trying to open the tiff file it says "Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements does not recognize this type of file".  If I reduce the dpi to 2400, it then opens it.  But 2400 dpi is not really enough for negatives, especially the ones with large family portraits we might want to enlarge. 

I don't want to proceed on this large (multi-week) project without being able to scan at the desired dpi for these negatives (don't want to have to do it twice!).  I've googled a lot and can't seem to find any solutions for this particular issue.  

I'd REALLY appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!

Jill

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

What is the actual pixel size of the image?  Check here to see the maximum size that can be handled by Elements.  Your scanner's dpi is not the same as the ppi that it outputs to your tif or jpeg file.  And you are not actually increasing the real resolution of the image by scanning at a higher dpi.  The scanner interpolates the "dots" and is merely adding to the size of the file without adding any real detail to the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open the 3200 dpi tiff or jpeg in another program?

Try Irfanview (free).

www.irfanview.com

If this works, save the file(s), and open in PSE subsequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the actual pixel size of the image?  Check here to see the maximum size that can be handled by Elements.  Your scanner's dpi is not the same as the ppi that it outputs to your tif or jpeg file.  And you are not actually increasing the real resolution of the image by scanning at a higher dpi.  The scanner interpolates the "dots" and is merely adding to the size of the file without adding any real detail to the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That’s really good information, Greg. It says Editor can’t handle anything over 30K by 30K and my files were around 8460 x 35300. It was scanning more than it needed to though, vertically, so I figured out how to change the scanning window and have it come in under 30k vertically and editor opened it.

Thanks so much!
Jill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the mac side Preview would be the application to use open the tif/jpeg files for resaving.

A third party equivalent to the windows only Irfanview would be GraphicConverter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines