• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting "File over 2 GB" even though the file is nowhere near 2 GB.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started getting this error a few years ago when I was using PSE 14. I thought maybe my computer and software were too old, so I bought a new computer and PSE 2018. Still got the error. Gave up on scrapbooking for a couple years, then thought maybe it was a glitch and tried 2020. STILL getting the error. The thing is--there's no way this file is even close to 2 GB. There's just not that much stuff in it. It's a basic template with some layers in it. And if I know how to read PSE (maybe I don't), the size in the bottom left-hand corner clearly states that this file is 37.1 MB--nowhere near 2 gigs! 

I'm utterly baffled about what could be causing this. I just want to be able to scrapbook like I used to for years and years! 

2020-09-20.png

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a very complex document with many pixel-rich layers.  It is therefore quite possible that when it is being saved to a psd file, it exceeds the 2GB limit (and the document size shown in the status bar is not showing the saved sized).  I just did a quick test and a file containing only 2 simple layers was saved with a size 1.5x the document size shown in Elements. 

Here is a link to an article suggesting ways to reduce the size of a multi-layered .psd file.  In Photoshop CC, the file can be saved as a PSB file, but that option is not available in Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try saving as a Tiff file, which has a 4 gb limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines