• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has 2022 fixed memory leak in Organizer?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone verify whether the new 2022 version has fixed the memory leak(s) when importing media into the Organizer? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download a free trial of Elements 2022 and judge for yourself whether any memory leak you think you are experiencing has been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea; in case anyone else comes looking with the same question, the answer is a clear and hearty "No".  Importing 200 1080p .mov files I can watch it burn through all 32GB of my memory -- it should not look like this:

timkjr_5-1635476111313.png

timkjr_6-1635476469380.png

Note that all media analysis is turned off; it seems to do just fine with lower-quality .mov files.  Disappointing -- it would at least help if in importing you could specify "Just images" etc while still traversing subdirectories, but no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you could post photos that we could actually see- the ones you posted are pretty gosh darn tiny.

You need to provide more information to get a better quality response.   Information like whether or not the memory gets released after importing is complete?   How much  system ram do you have installed?  Have you been monkeying around with your preference settings- in particualar the scratch disk size / location?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• 32GB ram installed with a Ryzen 5 3600x.
  • I had not made any changes in scratch size or location; kept defaults.
  • I tried a test adding additional scratch locations; same behavior.
  • Tonight I stopped the import before the memory usage made the system unstable; the app hangs after changing to "Stopping."  Letting it continue to hang -- 40+ minutes and counting -- the memory usage did go down, slowly. 
  • One oddity I noticed: while hung, the process continues to show GPU usage for "Video Decode" as well as disk usage.  I have a Radeon RX 580 w/ 8GB vram.

What other information shall I provide to get a better quality response?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bigger images please, in particular the first one. What you posted is too small to be of any use.
even if your ram usage is close to 100% all it means is that your HDD would be used to hold the temp data.  I had a 1TB SSD- I literally don't care how much ram gets used--- it's response time is much quicker than a regulad HDD.

Consider breaking the import down into chunks-- 50 videos at a time for example. 

I just did a test: I imported 159 video files (of course you're not really importing them) about 60 GB of data into organizer, from an external HDD -I  also monitored  everything in task manager while it was doign it:   The total, memory usage did not exceed 82%, CPU usage did not exceed 64% Organizer, at the most, was using a little less than 2 GB of ram. 

All that to me indicates to me that it is not the software, but rather something on your computer that is cuasing this behavior.  Granted, it's just one computer, a not even close to being fancy one, but I had zero issues- and it took less than a minute to "import" 159 video files.

I just search the external HDD, shoved all the video files I could find in one partition into their own folder, and imported the contents of that folder directly into organizer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i found a fix without a fix.  Had the same issue one to one as described.   All i had to do was create a new Caatalog, configure the watch folders, drum roll><><> this is the important part, you must wait for it to search all folders before importing. I guess just a little patiance.

Good luck,  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anyone else tried this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can verify that it is still a mess with HEVC files.  I can only import a few hundred files at a  time - or it freezes and crashes my computer due to memory leaks.  Amazing that it is still unusable.  Don't waste your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Memory Leak from Organizer 2022 Auto Creations is running in the background on my windows 11.

It locks up my system all the way, and I can only barely get to task manager to kill the process. Task Manager shows 90% of my ram being used (48Gb), almost all of it being Auto Creations 2022 I had to disable the application from start up so I don't have such an issue again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to install the HEVC extensions available in the microsoft store:

Get HEIF Image Extensions - Microsoft Store

It resolved the issue for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to install the HEIF extensions available in the microsoft store:

Get HEIF Image Extensions - Microsoft Store

It resolved the issue for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines