• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help topics not available due to broken links, 404 and 502 Errors

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am quite disappointed and upset with the quality of the written support for Photoshop Elements (and Premiere Elements 2020). The  online help guidance is next to useless; the links are broken, and the common response is either the 404 or 502 error. In other words, the help files haven't been updated in years. This is a common refrain and not an isolated incident. Don't take my word for it - review the posts from members of the community or do your own investigation. So, if you are not going to provide hardcopy guidance manuals with your products, the least you can do is provide updated and current online "how to" guidance. I will not be upgrading my elements software and will not purchase any other Adobe product unless and until this matter is addressed.

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us some URL links to pages where you are getting a 404 message. 

I have found that the best place to find help is to use the Search bar in the Elements Welcome Screen.  You can also do a Google search and add HelpX to your search terms.  For example HelpX Elements 2020 User Guide returned this link to the User Guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied on February 18th as follows:

Hello Greg, thank you for the prompt reply. Here is an example of the 404 error:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/archive/pse-12-tutorials/straighten-photos-content-aware-...

Brought to the 404 error from this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/search.html?q=straighten+image&start_index=0&country=CA&activeScopes=%5B%22h...

Regards,

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan5FDF :

Only your first link gives me a 404 error.  Adobe is aware of the problem.  See this thread.  The issue seems to arise with older tutorials.  It looks like your broken link is for a PSE 12 tutorial.  Where did you find the link?  Was it from the Elements 2020 Home Screen interface or from an external source such as Google?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

It's not really surprising that after 20 years of Photoshop Elements that you're going to come across some dead links, or out-of-date material when you perform a general search like you have just done covering the whole of the Adobe Support website.

If you have a look at the URL from your example above, you'll see that it includes the words "archive" and "PSE12" which should be a dead giveaway that the material on this particular page is probably out-of-date, or maybe doesn't even exist anymore.

There are plenty of other options available to you to help you work with Photoshop Elements, way more than just what a printed manual offers.

Let's take your "straighten image" scenario:

1. As Greg points out above, the first thing you'll see when you open up Elements is the Welcome Screen. At the top of the window is a search field labelled "What would you like to today?". Starting to type in 'straighten' and the auto-suggest comes up with "Straighten an image" - perfect! The first result takes us to the exact point in the Elements User Guide which covers straightening an image.

2. In the Elements Editor in Quick Edit Mode, the toolbox contains tooltips which pop-up when you hover your mouse over their icon. You could explore there and discover a "Straighten Tool". Click on that tool, and a short description how it works appears in the Tool Options panel. There's a ? icon in the Tools Options panel too; clicking on that takes us to the same page in the User Guide mentioned above.

3. Going into the Guided Edit Mode, let's have a look under the Basics section, as straightening an image would be a pretty common task. Yes, there's a Rotate and Straighten Guided Edit with a little animation to show you how it can work, activated by moving your mouse horizontally over the thumbnail. Click that thumbnail, and in the panel on the right there's a guided step-by-step description of how to straighten an image. Again, there's a ? icon in that panel too, which when you click on it opens up the Rotate and Straighten Guided Edit page in the User Guide, just in case you need even more information.

4.  There's this forum which is perfect for asking even the most simplest questions. It's user-to-user, so most of the people on here are not Adobe employees, just Photoshop Elements users who enjoy helping out other Photoshop Elements users 🙂

5. And of course, there's the User Guides (there are three guides for the Elements family) which you can either view online (the most up-to-date) or download as PDFs (which are a little out-of-date but not much!). You can access the User Guides at any time by  Here are the direct links to the User Guides, which I suggest bookmarking, and the PDFs:

Elements Organizer User Guide 

Photoshop Elements User Guide

Premiere Elements User Guide

Elements Organizer User Guide (PDF)

Photoshop Elements User Guide (PDF)

Premiere Elements User Guide (PDF)

The User Guides are really well-written and contain lots of visual examples. Finding good technical writers is not cheap, nevermind about the cost of printing and distributing manuals. Keeping Photoshop Elements at the same price point for 20 years ($99) means there's inevitably going to be some cost-saving measures somewhere, and hopefully you'll find the User Guides (and all the other ways of getting help) make up for the lack of a printed manual 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan5FDF

I just noticed that your earlier reply was sent to a scammer's email address.  Did you receive a private message that was supposedly from Adobe support?  Adobe support will only use an @Adobe.com address.  Please let me know the name of the person who sent you the message so that they can be removed from the site.   Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello the name is Greg_S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello the name is Greg_S.
By @Stan5FDF

Well it wasn't me.  Can you confirm that you received the email address by Private Message?  Apparently my screen name is being spoofed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Stan5FDF,

I know it's only a start, but I thought you'd like to know that all the video tutorials for Photoshop Elements that were previously unavailable are now working again:

Photoshop Elements tutorials

If you do come across any further videos or links that result in 404 or 502 error messages, please post the details here so Adobe can be informed that they need fixing. Thanks Stan 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines