• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with Collage Template and misbehaving clipping mask

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can someone help me with this issue. I am trying to create a custom Photo Collage template in PSE 2022 (due to the restrictions of 8 photos in included guided templates) by following an online YouTube tutorial. But the photos when added are covering the stroke outline?

What I did:-

1) Created new A4 page with white background

2) Divided up the page with guides (50% for vertical and 20%,40% etc to divide horizontally giving 8 rectangles)

3) Used the selection tool to drag a rectangle around each section of page and created a new layer for each

4) Filled each layer with an adhoc colour

5) Selected the layer and used Edit > Stroke(Outline) Selection and chose 30pix inside on in white

6) Dragged a photo onto template and dragged new photo layer in layer pallette above the rectangle I wanted it displayed

7) Adjusted image size and then right clicked on image layer and selected Create Clipping Mask.

Image duly went behind chosen rectangle but it now it obscures the stroke outline of the template! What am I doing wrong please? See screenshot below

Many thanks

FozzieScreenshot 2022-04-01 at 12.11.58.png

As an side can you download additional guided collage templates for PSE2022 ?  I only have two but others with erlier versions of PSE seem to have at least 4 portrait templates

TOPICS
Creative , How to , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

No need to do it as you just described.   I've made tons of my own templates with strokes around the placeholder for the clipping mask, then set up the image with no issues.

when I set up templates with the same shapes forall images  I set up just one shape (the placeholder) add my stroke, perhaps a drop shadow- then duplicate that layer a bunch of times--- making each paceholder a different color is pretty to look at , but not needed. 

I rarely use guides:  I select the layers and use the alignme

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make a blank layer clipped to each mask layer, then select the blank layer above each mask and use File>Place.

Screenshot-(856a).jpg

Screenshot-(857).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Jeff, I will try your suggestion but I am a novice at PhotoShop Elements and still learning and at the moment  I am not quite sure what you mean. I will try and figure it out though. 

However I think I have found out why the stroke is obscured. I followed the tutorial here and watching it again I did the stroke in the wrong order. I was watching the video and then trying to replicate the steps in PSE and I have now realised I must have skipped a stage when scrolling through the timeline. The graphics designer inserted the pictures first and applied a Clipping mask and THEN applied the stroke outline. 

Sorry for the confusion but its quite a steep learning curve for me as I am learning as I go along.

As an aside the graphic designer is using Photoshop not PSE which has Single Column marquee which is not available in PSE. Can I still select the layer and use Stroke Outline around each individual rectangle to acheive the same effect?

Many thanks for your help so far. It is very much appreciated

Fozzie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to do it as you just described.   I've made tons of my own templates with strokes around the placeholder for the clipping mask, then set up the image with no issues.

when I set up templates with the same shapes forall images  I set up just one shape (the placeholder) add my stroke, perhaps a drop shadow- then duplicate that layer a bunch of times--- making each paceholder a different color is pretty to look at , but not needed. 

I rarely use guides:  I select the layers and use the alignment/ distribute tools to make it look pretty-- again, this is one of those things you can do any number of ways- my ways generally pretty simple becoasue I'm lazy, and don't like to "make work" for myself. 

ALSO: You're probably adding the stroke to your image (photo) and not the shape- add the stroke to the shape first- then place the image and create the clipping mask .  Select
 all the shape layers at the same time and apply strokes and drop shadows to all at the same if you want-- do what makes you warm and fuzzy. 

I set up just one shape with strokes shadows and whatever- then duplicate that layer a bunch ( IN WINDOWS--- CTRL >ALT> down arrow)

2022-04-02_064129.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks Glenn,

I will try your method whaen I have a bit more free time. I was trying to make a collage for a funeral Order of Service and was under pressure due to printing guidelines. I purched a bunch of templates off Etsy to save time for this particular task but want to learn how to make more complex templates for the future.

I really appreciate the help I get from people such as yourself  on this forum.

Fozzie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines