• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make the background transparent in JPeg

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photographed an item in raw and edited in photoshop and saved it as a Jpeg. In PS elements 10 . It seems like the background is transparent how ever if i open the item in another program like word it does not have a transparent background. What am I doing wrong ? Do I need to save it in a different format ? Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPG does not support transparency.  You need to save your file as a PNG file.  (PNG-24 if you're using Save For Web.)  TIF files are much larger, but support transparency also.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Kind Regards

Tanja Kent

[Mod: Removed phone number and email address.

Please don't post your personal information.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, can those files be edited by someone else in those formats? I took the photos edited them and someone else is going to use them to make a poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, both PNG and TIF are common, standard formats and any modern program can open them.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Kind Regards

Tanja Kent

[Mod: Removed phone number and email address.

Please don't post your personal information.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screen shot of my photoshop file (missing a piece-- there was a silhouettte of the mans image but it reflected the "eclipse 1", some how it got erased.. btw this file no longer creates the image without transperencies... unfortunately something happened to my file as I was playing around with it. .. so this will not give you the results.. but maybe save some people time... those that are trying to figure out how to do this??)

Screen shot 2013-11-05 at 10.46.38 AM.pngSo I was trying to figure out the same thing as you and I did it by accident. Unfortunately I tried so many things at the same time (in photoshop) that I don't remember how I actually made the jpeg with transparencies. For anyone who doesn't beleive it, I took a screen shot of my file. Here shows the image in an illustrator file. Hopefully someone can crack the code as to how to get this done! (second image -- might help someone figure it out?)Screen shot 2013-11-05 at 9.47.29 AM.pngScreen shot 2013-11-05 at 10.40.10 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suspicion is that you may have named it with a jpg extension but it it actually a PSD or TIF. I say this because your info tab shows that the image contains layers. Like transparency, jpegs do not support layers.

Could you post the image here (use the camera icon to attach it).

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am aware that this is an old discussion, but I think that what Sheila Saa is describing deserves an explanation.

The jpeg format can store a single "clipping path' which enables Photoshop to 'crop' the jpeg for further use. This is shown in the screen shot, there is an 'alpha' channel.

I think that practically nobody uses that today, it's so easy to save as PNG.

The problem for Elements is that it does not natively manage paths (no paths panel). I have been able to save and restore such 'clipped' jpegs using the scripts in Elements+ but I think it's rather an academic solution. The process probably worked well for a Photoshop user sending files to other Photoshop users for printing. I reported this some time ago, but I could not even attach a clipped file, the clipping path was not kept in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Open in Photoshop and remove background manually.

2) Save the file as png with transparent bg.

3) Open the png with Acrobat Pro and save as pdf.

This "pdf" can be inserted in any other picture or other file and will appear without bg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines