• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I specify pixels when resizing images?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed my Photoshop Elements 15 to a new computer, and some things I'm used to apparently got reset.

The only unit of measure I use for image sizes is pixels. I can crop an image in pixels by typing "750 px" or whatever into the fields on the cropping tool. But when I then want to resize the image, the dropdown on the image size popup will not show me pixels as an option. Here's what it looks like:

KirkPetersen_0-1608752028687.png

The current size is in pixels, but the new size cannot be specified in pixels.

I went to Edit > Preferences > Units & Rulers to set pixels as the measurement default (that dropdown DOES offer pixels, but it made no difference.

I seem to vaguely recall having this problem long ago, but for years I've been happily resizing in pixels, and I don't know what I did to fix it.

Help?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

>>>Where is this "Pixel Dimensions section" of which you speak?

In the red section in the screenshot below:

pse-pixel-dimensions.png

There are two ways of resizing in this dialog:

1. Change the pixel size of the image (in the Pixel Dimensions section), which is what you're trying to achieve. You check the Resample Image box to activate that. Or
  2. Keep all the pixels and fit them into specific dimensions for printing (in the Document Size section). That's the area you've been unsuccessfully wrestling with.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to tick the 'resample' box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I'm afraid it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you tick the Resample box, you should be able to resize via pixels in the Pixel Dimensions section above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just getting back to this, Happy New Year...

John Waller, thanks for responding. Where is this "Pixel Dimensions section" of which you speak? Below is a screen shot of what I get after ticking Resample Image. The drop-down offers every measurement unit except pixels. 

KirkPetersen_0-1610381883057.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>Where is this "Pixel Dimensions section" of which you speak?

In the red section in the screenshot below:

pse-pixel-dimensions.png

There are two ways of resizing in this dialog:

1. Change the pixel size of the image (in the Pixel Dimensions section), which is what you're trying to achieve. You check the Resample Image box to activate that. Or
  2. Keep all the pixels and fit them into specific dimensions for printing (in the Document Size section). That's the area you've been unsuccessfully wrestling with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

D'oh! <faceplant>

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Restore default preferences
Preference settings control how Photoshop Elements Editor displays images, cursors, and transparencies, saves files, uses plug‑ins and scratch disks, and so on. If the application exhibits unexpected behavior, the preferences file could be damaged. You can restore all preferences to their defaults.

Note: Deleting the preferences file is an action that cannot be undone.

Do one of the following:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Mac: Option+Command+Shift) immediately after Photoshop Elements begins launching. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file.
Go to Edit > Preferences (Mac: Photoshop Elements > Preferences > General), click the Reset Preferences on next launch button, and then click OK. When you restart Adobe Photoshop Elements, all preferences are reset to default settings.
A new preferences file is created the next time you start Photoshop Elements Editor. For information on a specific preference option, search for the preference name in Help.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/preference-file-locations-photoshop-elements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but no joy. I tried both options: I pressed and held Alt-Ctrl-Shift as PSE began launching, but nothing happened -- there was no option to delete anything.

I found and clicked the Reset Preferences on Next Launch button, then closed and relaunched the program. Still cannot select pixels as the measurement unit when changing image sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try points. I have never seen pixels in this dialog as an option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines