• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How long should Catalog Repair take? (PSE 2022, new high-end Win11 PC, 130K photos)

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long should I let catalog repair run before assuming it's frozen?  (new PSE 2022, new high-end Win11 computer, 130K photos).

I used backup/restore to move my catalog and all photos from old PC (PSE 14) to new PC (PSE 2022).  The restore operation seemed successful.  PSE Organizer now seems to freeze occasionally while automatically generating thumbnails, and the thumbnail process seems to stop.  So I am running Catalog Repair from the "Catalog Manager", and the PC task manager reports high resource usage from Adobe Elements 2022 Organizer task.  I am assuming the Catalog is being analyzed and repaired, but it's been hours since Elements responded.  Can this take hours?  Days?  Should I stop and restart at some point?  Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a restore, updating thumbnails may take a few hours for a big catalog like yours.

The 'repair' function is not used in this case, you need to 'optimize' the catalog which updates the thumbanils in a second step. Updating thumbnails is normally done as a background task which should not create 'freezing', only the instant creation of the currently viewed thumbnail page. So, try first to optimize if you have some time available. A more radical step would be to find the location of the catalog folder (menu Help >> System Info) and to delete the file 'thumb.5.cache' and let it be rebuilt automatically (a few hours).

If you meet freezing episodes in 'repair' mode, that's not the same issue. Repair can take some time, but no so long. Other factors may be suspected like automatic background task or limited hardware specs requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it can take several hours to generate thumbnails on a catalog that size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear User,

Were you able to complete your repair operation? Please let us know if you are still facing issues.

Regards,

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines