Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to control Dodge/Burn in PhotshopElemets

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

I am new with PE and used to an old version of PainShopPro.

In PSP I used Dodge and Burn as a global filter for the whole Image: One click and its done.

In PE I need to use a brush and have more control about certain areas for dodging and burning: Thats a new world.

Unfortuntaly when brushing areas, overlays sometimes happen and the dodging/burning will be used multiple times. As a result I get stains. Is there anyhow a possibility to limit the applying via multiple brushing?

Thank you

-martin 

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are several tips:

1. Use the bracket keys next to the letter P on the keyboard to increase/decrease the size of the brush cursor to cover more  area with the tools

2  Duplicate the Background layer and work on the Background copy layer. That way you can toggle the layer visibility off/on in order to see if you have made the desired change

3.You can use one of the selection tools to select an object and place it on its own layer (press CTRL+J), then confine any enhancement to this vs. a global change. This way you have 100% control over the burn/dodge maneuvers.

4. Have a look at the Filter menu, esp. Stylize & Distort.

5. Take advantage of using layers. Note in the Layers palette there are several blending modes available, among them burn & dodge. These are powerful and result in global change to the layer

6. Take some time to learn how to use a mask.

7. Photoshop Elements User Guide (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff and Hatstead,

thank you very much for the tipps. I think selections and layers is the way to go. So I try the overlay method for sure. This should be familar with my old PSP.

I'll try to find Stylize & Distort in the filter menu. Unfortunatly I use the german version with other names for this.

Best regards

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines